Electrician Talk banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
1,859 Posts
I've been itching at the gills to do an office remodel or something completely in smurf. It's one of those things I've got to do.

All I need is an opportunity and a customer that wants a raceway system installed, and I'll be all over it. :thumbsup:
So it's easier to cut, but that's it, takes more to strap, harder to pull the wires thru. Somehow we would occasionally hang a fish tape.

So some people say no 1/2, all 3/4, making price difference from other methods less.

Did a couple of c-stores, bed & breakfast, maybe a few other jobs, then went back to EMT & MC.

One nice thing about smurf is that your help does not have to know how to bend EMT. But it turns out there's lots more that they don't know.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
So it's easier to cut, but that's it, takes more to strap, harder to pull the wires thru. Somehow we would occasionally hang a fish tape.

So some people say no 1/2, all 3/4, making price difference from other methods less.

Did a couple of c-stores, bed & breakfast, maybe a few other jobs, then went back to EMT & MC.

One nice thing about smurf is that your help does not have to know how to bend EMT. But it turns out there's lots more that they don't know.
I can think of no reason to use smurf tube over mc or romex as a wiring method for commercial/resi. For low voltage stuff or future? Sure. For everything? I'll stick with what works, is cheap, and easy.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
You must live in a real ****ihole.
I feel bad for you.
Never had a mouse in this house. But thanks for you concern. I have, however, seen them chew all the way through pvc, romex, mc, and the bare neutral on service drops (seem that three times)

Just wanted to say fu ck off and merry christmas.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have seen more problems with squirrels than with rats . I have worked on several houses that had extensive damage in the attics . Squirrels seem to be able to chew through anything .

·
Registered
522 Posts
Never had a mouse in this house. But thanks for you concern. I have, however, seen them chew all the way through pvc, romex, mc, and the bare neutral on service drops (seem that three times)

Just wanted to say fu ck off and merry christmas.
personally I have not seen anything close to pvc wall breaching except by a Richard Gere gerbil, my guess is that your mice are getting the new and approve "gay man" blood. No colon left behind. within 63 hours you too can die of aides

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been itching at the gills to do an office remodel or something completely in smurf. It's one of those things I've got to do.

All I need is an opportunity and a customer that wants a raceway system installed, and I'll be all over it. :thumbsup:

We ran one floor of offices with smurf. What an absolute pain in the hinder to get a fish tape through. I will never use smurf again.

Sent from my iPad using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
We ran one floor of offices with smurf. What an absolute pain in the hinder to get a fish tape through. I will never use smurf again.

Sent from my iPad using electriciantalk.com

I used it once on a restaurant remodel because they made me. Never again. It's one of those things you do once and never talk about it again.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Emt in wood framing would be like a plumber has to do with hard copper pipe, except they use tight 90's. How do you make a 90 through a turn ? Bore a 2" hole or take everything straight up to an attic ?

My commercial experience with this way back I used 1/2" flex, and I've done a couple old apartments with mc, because that's what the owner requested.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Emt in wood framing would be like a plumber has to do with hard copper pipe, except they use tight 90's. How do you make a 90 through a turn ? Bore a 2" hole or take everything straight up to an attic ?

My commercial experience with this way back I used 1/2" flex, and I've done a couple old apartments with mc, because that's what the owner requested.

For inside corners you bend and cut a short 90, almost like a factory EMT 90, and work it through the corner. Sometimes you have to open it or close it up to get it to go.
For outside corners you just bend a stub 90 and shove it in from the outside, super easy.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Soak the romex in hot sauce first.

Reactions: chicken steve

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts

I back bend, make a 390° and then correct...in wood framing go under and back up to avoid corners.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It seems MCAP is the solution in steel. As for the toxins issue, you may wish to ask your customer if they want to pre-treat the studs before drywall with some of the newer pest solutions on the market. There are capsaicin-based pesticides that work great for this type of place. I believe that is what Sea World uses here in Cen Fla. No mouse wants anything to do with it.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I was told that all ressi in Chicago is done in emt. Due to the chicago fire/rats. Any truth to that?
My personal opinion is that while it may be a result of The Great Chicago Fire, I believe it only still holds true becuase of tradition and the very politically strong Chicago Union. As proof by 480's pic, Chicago has its own code and regulations and has no ties to the NEC.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you are used to MC, the difference is small say 10% on labor instead of romex. If not then 20-30%, could be your rate. If you go with steel mc, the stripping takes about 20-40 seconds longer than AL.
Also don't forget the extra weight of it will tire your guys out more than the other methods. So at the end of the day they will be moving slower than normal. However, the cost of steel MC is cheaper than AL partly because almost no one uses it. (so I was told)

61 - 80 of 84 Posts