Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiring basic receptacles at a cottage. This is a small detail but am I allowed to put two bare copper ground wires under one screw on the outlet itself? I already have both ground wires grounded separately in the box.

Or do I have to make a pig tail? Some told me it's fine to put them under one screw with 14 gauge but not 12. I am using 14.

Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am wiring basic receptacles at a cottage. This is a small detail but am I allowed to put two bare copper ground wires under one screw on the outlet itself? I already have both ground wires grounded separately in the box.

Or do I have to make a pig tail? Some told me it's fine to put them under one screw with 14 gauge but not 12. I am using 14.

Thanks.
Ground both wires to the box,then just bring 1 ground from the box to the screw on the receptacle or switch. Don't bring both of them to the switch or receptacle.

·
Registered
431 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
The yellow #12/2 NM is coming in through the top. It's pretty straight forward. One thing is I always pigtail the bond (green/bare) as well. That seems strange to rely on the box and screws to complete the bonding of an entire circuit at each device box.
How do you land your bond for your circuits in the panel? Pigtail it off the main ground?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.