Electrician Talk banner

Wiring in Schools

4K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  cultch 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a freelance gaffer/best boy electric for film sets on the East Coat. I'm filming in a high school soon and I wanted to know if generally each class room has its own circuit, or if their can be more than one circuit per room. Sorry this question is kind of vague.

#9 ·
I would head to the maintenance shop and talk to the, school board electrician. Might take some donuts, ask if him/ her has time to stop by and show you where is the best place to get power. I do a lot of school electric, remods and such, a old sparky who has been around awhile can save you grief!

#12 ·
How old is the school? General class rooms in older schools did not have a lot of circuits. Often the general purpose receptacles for 2 or 3 class rooms would be on a single circuit.
That is how most schools around here are as well. And most of the time the lighting is 277V....if that matters to the OP.

#20 ·
BBQ said:
Seems like overkill.
Of course it's overkill. But if the state is gonna waste money at least I get my share. This school is phase 2. Phase 1 is the same building but was financed with private money and wired by another company. It's 100% mc cable and my building is 100% emt. The first building should be spontaneously combusting any second now.

#28 ·
I can't believe nobody here has had clean panels in their installs. I'm not here to defend their usefeullness. I have wired 3 schools over the past 7 years and 2 of them had a seperate system which they say was clean power in which we installed orange or red receptacles. They were mostly for the computers.

It seems you all are putting it on me to explain their validity. I mereley mentioned to the op that there often times is seperatly derived systems. If I had a piece of very expensive equipment I would probably use the clean knowing that it probably wouldn't make a hill of difference.

#30 ·
clean power as described for computer and hospital systems
isolation transformers, and line voltage conditioning through commercial and industrial grade ups systems and balanced loading and considerable overkill on surge suppression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.