Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What holds up and what doesn't. I am going to do some outdoor wiring for lighting at my friend's fishing house on the ocean. I see the cars and trucks that never leave there rusting away and I am wondering how long EMT will last, or what about RMC? The sun is intense too, I don't think PVC would hold up. What about Bell boxes, do they disintegrate in salt air too?

So far I am thinking EMT and lots of paint. Should I use stainless screws in the bell boxes? Being from the desert I don't know anything about the effects of salt air on electrical components, but I can imagine it's pretty bad. The house is about 100 yards from the shore.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
Joefixit2 said:
What holds up and what doesn't. I am going to do some outdoor wiring for lighting at my friend's fishing house on the ocean. I see the cars and trucks that never leave there rusting away and I am wondering how long EMT will last, or what about RMC? The sun is intense too, I don't think PVC would hold up. What about Bell boxes, do they disintegrate in salt air too?

So far I am thinking EMT and lots of paint. Should I use stainless screws in the bell boxes? Being from the desert I don't know anything about the effects of salt air on electrical components, but I can imagine it's pretty bad. The house is about 100 yards from the shore.
Bell boxes turn to powder. PVC (sch 80 if you want), PVC boxes, carflex.

·
13,020 Posts
I've been wiring things at or near the beach my whole career so far, and I've never seen anything hold up except for PVC and stainless.

EMT simply crumbles away into nothing within a couple years, RMC follows suit a little bit later. Cast aluminum boxes will just be a powdery mess, and non-weather resistant wiring devices will disintegrate. I do a lot of work at a few fish plants on the Newport bayfront. They are right on the bay AND they are washdown environments. Everything is PVC.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Joefixit2 said:
What holds up and what doesn't. I am going to do some outdoor wiring for lighting at my friend's fishing house on the ocean. I see the cars and trucks that never leave there rusting away and I am wondering how long EMT will last, or what about RMC? The sun is intense too, I don't think PVC would hold up. What about Bell boxes, do they disintegrate in salt air too? So far I am thinking EMT and lots of paint. Should I use stainless screws in the bell boxes? Being from the desert I don't know anything about the effects of salt air on electrical components, but I can imagine it's pretty bad. The house is about 100 yards from the shore.
. Go with PVC conduit , boxes , straps , expansion fittings and stainless screws if you're looking for it to last a while .

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
There's a guy who sells 200a stainless steel meter pans on eBay. But I still have 4 words for people who build right on a coastal waterfront. Fools build on sand.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
This has been all tards up to this point. UF cable , plastic fixtures on exterior, paint an extra coat or two on the meter can to prevent it from the inevitable rusting, and maybe no-alox the feeder cables while you are at it. Anything outside that is metal will rust sooner or later, it is a seashore fact of life.

Don't use metal outlet boxes anyplace in the whole house. Keep the windows closed on the windward side. Buy a surfboard.

·
13,020 Posts
This has been all tards up to this point. UF cable , plastic fixtures on exterior, paint an extra coat or two on the meter can to prevent it from the inevitable rusting, and maybe no-alox the feeder cables while you are at it. Anything outside that is metal will rust sooner or later, it is a seashore fact of life.

Don't use metal outlet boxes anyplace in the whole house. Keep the windows closed on the windward side. Buy a surfboard.
:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a guy who sells 200a stainless steel meter pans on eBay. But I still have 4 words for people who build right on a coastal waterfront. Fools build on sand.
It ain't exactly the Taj Mahal, it's a fishing cabin worth about 30K. It's on a cliff of rock, no plumbing. Every spring abvout 50 of us go there. Electricity came two years ago in the form of 30 amps from an indoor 30 amp disconnect on the pole (provided by the POCO). There's only 5 things to do down there, drink beer, fish, sleep, eat, and drink beer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.