Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having trouble wiring some pool equipment.

Originally, they had an outlet(120v) for chemical dispenser wired through the pool pump (240v) time clock on a 2p 20a breaker. I switched the breaker to gfi for code, and had to remove the 120v to keep the breaker from tripping. I need the chemicals to come on with the pool pump. Im assuming there is a relay or something I need to put in to bake this work.

Feel this is so simple and in probably over thinking it. Any help or ideas would be great.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they worked fine together until I installed the gfi breaker.

The chemical dispensers are cord and plug.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Skipbayless said:
No, they worked fine together until I installed the gfi breaker. The chemical dispensers are cord and plug.
No neutral. So they were using the ground to the 240v circuit as the neutral for the 120v cir?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they wired a neutral through the time clock to the panel with a hot wire coming off one leg, on they load side of the time clock, of the 240v circuit.

Sorry for the lack of information.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,748 Posts
A contactor with a 240v coil?
That's probably the best bet.

Usually they just match the chemical system's voltage to the motor so they avoid this problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How would I wire that through the time clock, to kick on the 120v circuit when the 240v circuit kicks on by the time clock? I have limited experience with contactors and relays.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The chemical dispensers are cord and plug.
And I am assuming a 110v dosing pump. Is there a 240V option for the dosing pump?

You are going to need to pull a new 110V circuit. Is there room in the conduit? Is there a conduit?

The only other option I can think of would be a 2:1 step-down transformer, but I don't have even the foggiest notion how to make it safe and legal.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
How would I wire that through the time clock, to kick on the 120v circuit when the 240v circuit kicks on by the time clock? I have limited experience with contactors and relays.
The 240 volt coil would be wired in parallel with the circuit for the pool pump at the time clock.

The 120 volt circuit for the chemical pump would be wired through one of the NO contacts on the contactor.

Pete

Reactions: Rollie73

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Why not just wire the 115volt neutral thru the gfci breaker.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
It trips the breaker.
It shouldn't unless there is a fault or miswire somewhere downstream. I always wire the salt generator from the pool motor circuit, rarely do I get one that cannot be wired either 115/230 volts. But the bottom line is a properly wired and functioning 115 volt outlet/ accessory derived from a 230 volt gfci protected 3 wire system should not trip the protection.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Are you positive that the neutral used is not wired to anything else such as a convenience receptacle or pool light?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
You will need to follow the conduit run and retrace all the conductors. Chances are it's a shared neutral and you will either need to pull an additional neutral or install a relay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts