Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Today me and my journeyman had to install a new magnetic motor starter. My Jman is calling in the boss tomorrow because he isn't sure how to wire it up. I took a picture of the contactor and hopefully I got enough where you can't point me in the right direction in understanding it. We have not went over these in school yet

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what I've read in my books so far, the two red wires in the bottom of the contactor go to the coil? I figured also that there needs to be some sort of jumper from 1&L1 over to the 2,3 terminals which are auxilary contacts?

Also on the switch itself there is a jumper from one terminal to the next, is that from the NO to NC and then the NO wire is the one that runs to the bottom of the contactor?

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,394 Posts
The 2 wires at the bottom of the label are the coil. One of them goes to the overload contact block.

This coil is 120 volt, so unless the motor supply is from a source that has 120 and the neutral is brought in, it'll need a separate circuit for control.

The 2 and 3 are an auxiliary contact, usually used as a latch if the method of control is start-stop pushbuttons.

1 & L1 is used as a control power source only if the coil voltage is the same as the supply voltage.

This is an oversimplification; there's a lot more to hooking up a starter.

How is it controlled? Start-stop buttons, a maintained switch, some sort of remote control? In this case, whatever the control source is, it needs to be 120 volts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.