Electrician Talk banner

Work Order App Recomendations

6595 22
Alright, this is my first post on here.
Lets start out with a bit about the company I work for. It has about 6 guys in the field. About 60% of our work is service calls ranging from reseting GFCIs to trouble shooting industrial controls. The rest is mostly bid jobs. For the past 10 years, everything has been paper work orders and paper time cards. I have been trying to modernize this system by switching from paper to apps on everyone's phones or tablets. We have tried Service Fusion and T&M. Both had issues.

Service fusion's material search function was archaic and required the exact word order of the material to match the search. Impossible when we have about 3000 parts in our digital material list.

T&M's app was just poorly designed and always crashes, creates doubles in our customer database, and does not have a function to log hours and dates worked.

Anyone have an app they recommend? Preferable it could sync up with quickbooks.

Thanks Everybody.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly do you want it to do?
Assign jobs to employees from some sort of dispatch.

Capable of handling a large material pricing library that is easily searchable.

Ability to fill out work orders, invoices in the field.

Time clock function that can link in some fashion to the work orders.

Sync with quick books.

Works on android and iOS.

Ability to import our existing customer database from quick books.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,497 Posts
Both of these will work:

http://www.razorsync.com

https://getjobber.com/

Razorsync will take a little longer to learn and get used to, but it has more capabilities. Also, if you have over 3k items to search through, it allows you to break items into categories.

Jobber is easy to learn and they have been adding features, but the mobile app isn't as good as it should be and it can be a pain when searching for items.

Both are reasonably priced though and sync with Quickbooks... Although if you are using the desktop version I am not 100% sure if they sync with that.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,497 Posts
Look into Knowify
Knowify is awesome for construction projects, a great product. I think it is quite limited for field work though. The mobility of the software isn't that great and needs a constant connection to function.

If this guy is working in Santa Cruz, he may not have an internet connection in the field half the time with the mountains, Razorsync can work completely offline, Jobber though needs a constant connection.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Knowify is awesome for construction projects, a great product. I think it is quite limited for field work though. The mobility of the software isn't that great and needs a constant connection to function.

If this guy is working in Santa Cruz, he may not have an internet connection in the field half the time with the mountains, Razorsync can work completely offline, Jobber though needs a constant connection.
Switched, you are totally right. Much of our service oriented work is in places with spotty or no cell service. Offline functionality is a must. I like the look of Mhelpdesk and Razorsync so far. I am going to run through the demos today.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,497 Posts
Switched, you are totally right. Much of our service oriented work is in places with spotty or no cell service. Offline functionality is a must. I like the look of Mhelpdesk and Razorsync so far. I am going to run through the demos today.
I work in Monterey and SC too....

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,497 Posts
I think Razorsync has the steepest learning curve, but has the most options for integration of all the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For the last few months I have been evaluating all in 1 contractor programs.
Wanting for scheduling, estimating, invoicing, inventory (pricing not stocking), spelling check, & customer list.
Ideally that can do reports, credit card integration, track time, & job costs.
Some had nice extra features like email and text integration, auto message sender (like appointment reminders), mapping / address check the customer, auto scheduling filler work, drive directions, tech locations, etc.

Some had features could be handy but may be making the system too bloated like licensing tracking, insurance tracking, truck maintenance, employment data, equipment tracking, etc.

The goal is:
Have access to past customer history in the field
Create clean looking invoices with no scribbles or typos.
Reduce the number of time needed to transfer information, such as only entering full customer data 1 time, not every appointment, estimate, invoice.
Better tracking P&L on jobs, reports by customer, service type, materials sold, etc.
Electronic lists of material and service prices that are easy to adjust MU.

Few things I learned.
There are many accounting ways to price material. I like to set it at a market price. Some programs want figure things different (FILO, LIFO, or average).

Some of the basic office programs (like MS Office) limits use of a file to 1 user at a time. As long as that user has the file open, no one else can access it.

The only way to have live access to company files is to have it hosted.
Most of these software providers host the program and your data.
They charge per user and sometimes extra features.
Prices can vary from a few dollars to hundreds per month.

The only way to avoid the subscription it to buy a program and host it yourself.
Trouble is the programs for purchase seemed like a good effort abandoned as a 1 time sale is not enough to keep the product fresh and provide good service.

Complaints about different programs can be from very slow most likely do to the providers server, not functioning at all when you loose internet signal, bugs, program not working that takes them days to fix, hard to learn / navigate, updates that cause problems, & loss of data.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have looked at about 50 different programs.
Downloaded demos of most of them.
Each demo hours could be spent setting it up to try out.
Still have not found one I like.

Apptivo I like the best.
Except it was painfully slow and got to a point where it kept crashing.
Customer service said they would look into it but was no help.

Invoice ASAP was a nice program. Simple and fast. But lacked details.
Like the inventory side of it was poor.

Some programs the search function was limited. Like if your customer name was Joe Smith, and you searched for Smith there would be nothing found. Same thing if it's 1/2" EMT it can't find anything if you type just EMT.

Many are many for such a wide base it does not seem to fit will for contracting. So many had shipping address and delivery cost on the invoice. They would be better fit for an Ebay seller.

Not 1 out of the box had a service invoice I liked. Most didn't let you change enough of the layout.

Most listed material on 1 line and labor on another line. But if you sell a flat rate price it doesn't fit well. The work around would be to list the combined under labor or materials. Then it throws off other parts of the program reporting. Besides trying to stay away from T&M invoicing.

Some suggest paying a programmer to setup what you want on a base program like Zoho. You save in the long run because the base program is very low priced. You get exactly what you want.

In the end I may just stay with 2 part paper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.