Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's project. 400 amp feeder for the ipac. Set the pull box in the ceiling and cored through the wall last night, concrete pad was cured enough this morning to set gear and finish pipes then the Hoffman cabinet. This was originally supposed to be a panelboard-transformer-panelboard setup but got switched to an ipac after the pour so I rolled with it. In case you're wondering there is no UG entry in an ipac this small, hence the cabinet.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Today's project. 400 amp feeder for the ipac. Set the pull box in the ceiling and cored through the wall last night, concrete pad was cured enough this morning to set gear and finish pipes then the Hoffman cabinet. This was originally supposed to be a panelboard-transformer-panelboard setup but got switched to an ipac after the pour so I rolled with it. In case you're wondering there is no UG entry in an ipac this small, hence the cabinet.

View attachment 38385
View attachment 38386
View attachment 38387
View attachment 38388
View attachment 38389
My Little Pony,

Photoshopped. Your getting good at it.:thumbup::laughing:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awg-Dawg said:
I remember it being brought up on here before, is it cheaper to parallel? Nice work BTW.
I leave that for the bean counters to worry about haha. But honestly I don't know in this specific case. It's a 400' run with 3 ninetys, one offset, and one pull box. Typically I only run 4" for feeders that are 800 amps or greater.

·
Small Potatoes
5,510 Posts
Really professional work. Nice job! :thumbsup:

I've never seen conduits in an application like this installed with threaded rod to stand off a wall like that before. Seems like a lot of extra labor to do that. Was there a reason for that? I get that it eliminates using LB's and might even make the pull a little easier depending on where your pulling from.

Did you need to enter the ipac near the front?

...just curious. :)

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
flyboy said:
Really professional work. Nice job! :thumbsup: I've never seen conduits in an application like this installed with threaded rod to stand off a wall like that before. Seems like a lot of extra labor to do that. Was there a reason for that? I get that it eliminates using LB's and might even make the pull a little easier depending on where your pulling from. Did you need to enter the ipac near the front? ...just curious. :)
Yes I did choose to enter the conduits towards the front to bring the conductors straight into the main breaker section. There's a metal divider that the interiors are mounted to with only a couple inches clearance to the top of the cabinet. It's easy enough to run branch circuits through that section but I wouldn't want to do 3/0s

·
Registered
14 Posts
I leave that for the bean counters to worry about haha. But honestly I don't know in this specific case. It's a 400' run with 3 ninetys, one offset, and one pull box. Typically I only run 4" for feeders that are 800 amps or greater.
It is 50% cheaper to Parallel

400A Feeder QTY AMT TOTAL
4 #600 1600 8.5 $13,600
#3 400 0.7 $280
3 1/2" C 400 5 $2,000
Factory 90s 3 30 $90
$15,970

(2) 2 1/2" #3/0 400A Feeder
4 #3/0 3200 2.25 $7,200
#3 800 0.7 $560
(2) 2 1/2" C 800 3 $2,400
90s 3 25 $75
$10,235

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.