Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to travel to Charlotte NC in a few weeks for work related training. I'm going with another guy who just started with us. Is it unusual to expect to not share a hotel room? This is new to me so I don't quite know the way these things work.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I worked for a company that required frequent travel and we never shared hotel rooms. We shared a rental car and that was it. Sharing hotel rooms is for cheap contractors who want unhappy employees.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I have to travel to Charlotte NC in a few weeks for work related training. I'm going with another guy who just started with us. Is it unusual to expect to not share a hotel room? This is new to me so I don't quite know the way these things work.
I WOULD NOT SHARE you are an adult and deserve to be treated like an adult.

I fart, burp, snore twist and turn all night I would not want to subject anyone to that.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
1993 Buffalo NY, we are building an 8 story building,,, all EMT compression fitting too, I went back to the room after work , showered chit and saved:laughing:

Went out to dinner by my self, watched a baseball game at the bar, go back to the room, open the door and I remember the AC was off, but it was hot as hell mid July night I was pissed that it was not running, I open the door and a cloud of smoke hit me like the f---ing place was on fire, my room mate and one of his buds was sitting in there with a huge bong with pink floyed on full blast:eek:

WTF I said to him, so I pulled all my stuff out of there and put it in my truck and went to the front desk and said I want another room by myself, they said you will have to pay, I said fine I want nothing to do with those freaks, give me the key.

I called my boss in the morning and told him he's paying for my private room and I'm not putting up with that bull chit for one second, If you even think of not paying I will drive home Right now!

I had my own room for the rest of the job, It was a rate job too.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
1993 Buffalo NY, we are building an 8 story building,,, all EMT compression fitting too, I went back to the room after work , showered chit and saved:laughing:

Went out to dinner by my self, watched a baseball game at the bar, go back to the room, open the door and I remember the AC was off, but it was hot as hell mid July night I was pissed that it was not running, I open the door and a cloud of smoke hit me like the f---ing place was on fire, my room mate and one of his buds was sitting in there with a huge bong with pink floyed on full blast:eek:

WTF I said to him, so I pulled all my stuff out of there and put it in my truck and went to the front desk and said I want another room by myself, they said you will have to pay, I said fine I want nothing to do with those freaks, give me the key.

I called my boss in the morning and told him he's paying for my private room and I'm not putting up with that bull chit for one second, If you even think of not paying I will drive home Right now!

:sleep1:

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Brokeback Mountain Don't do it

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,460 Posts
The only people I would share a room with would be someone I was related to or a hot chick with loose morals. Otherwise, no possible way.

These el-cheapo companies who want two guys sharing a room need to look at the potential liability of a sexual harassment lawsuit. Or just about anything else that can be dreamed up........

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
We always shared hotel rooms on out of town jobs, we all got along well so it wasn't a big deal. Somebody I'd just met though, would be a little weird.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I haven't worked out if town for long extended periods of time, but when i did, the company I worked for had 2 guys to a hotel room. Never had to deal with an idiot, I always shared a room with my brother in law.

I'm pretty easy to get along with, but im not going to put up with too much nonsense. I also highly suggest bringing earplugs.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
It can be good or bad, you never know.

I had to share a room with my boss once. He was a heavy smoker, drinker and eater (he died at age 62, no surprise). He snored like a 747 and got up to smoke 3 or 4 times in the night. When he woke up in the morning, he sat on the side of the bed and coughed for 30 minutes, like he was coughing up a lung, only stopping to have a cigaret in between bouts. When he coughed, he also farted and eventually shat his pants (and bed sheets) before he decided maybe he should go to the toilet. Then he didn't bother to close the freakin door. Worst night ever.

Square D made me share a room at a week long training program at a golf resort in Florida, but it was a two bedroom suite so basically we only shared the kitchen / dining area, and we never cooked or ate there. The guy was a stranger to me, but we became casual friends and did some crazy chit together. That was 22 years ago and we had lost touch, but when I started this job I ran into him at a regional meeting, he worked here too! Kinda fun to reminisce about that week long training where we got hammered one night and attempted to play "night golf". It never occurred to us that there would be gators in the water hazards though, we were both west coast guys. THAT was a surprise!

·
Registered
782 Posts

that's being bold Harry and knowing your rights as an employee which many people don't or they fear loosing a job.

I have a saying "if you don't ask they won't know".

atleast asking is not a crime.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
We usually give guys per diem and they can do whatever they want, some will get a nice room alone, some guys will share a crappy room and keep the $$

Reactions: sstlouis03
1 - 20 of 23 Posts