Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was recently contacted by a agency that would like me to do service calls at big name stores like Marshall's, Sears etc... They basically send me a work order and say we will pay you $25 for drive time and $50 an hour on the job...
They want the store manager to "clock you in and clock you out".....

Seems like you take all the risk and they get all the money.... I'm sure they mark those invoices up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,760 Posts
So I was recently contacted by a agency that would like me to do service calls at big name stores like Marshall's, Sears etc... They basically send me a work order and say we will pay you $25 for drive time and $50 an hour on the job...

Seems like you take all the risk and they get all the money.... I'm sure they mark those invoices up.

Some guys like to use them as a little cash cow when they need to fill out a short day. There are ways to make it work for you but, you might not learn about it on a public forum.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some guys like to use them as a little cash cow when they need to fill out a short day. There are ways to make it work for you but, you might not learn about it on a public forum.

Pm me please

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts

We've worked for no less that 1/2 Dz of these sorts in the past decade

There very little i would not disclose about them in a public forum

bring it on

~CS~

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It makes me feel like "the man" is watching me. I don't want to go do a job I'd bill any other commercial client $300 and do the job for $125... Seems so messed up!

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
we will pay you $25 for drive time and $50 an hour on the job...

So, the better you are the less you make? :no:

·
Registered
290 Posts
We did work for a place like that for almost a year until I came to my senses. Got regular calls but made no profit on 80% of them, some were even a loss which is crazy for service work.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
you whore you Kryptes

i bet you dressed for it too...:whistling2:

electroslut! :jester:

~CS~

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
You've suddenly become a bean counter Island dude?:jester:

~CS~
I know some of my thoughts, ideas and ideals don't amount to a hill of beans but, damnit this is MY hill, and these are MY beans! :thumbsup:

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We did work for a place like that for almost a year until I came to my senses. Got regular calls but made no profit on 80% of them, some were even a loss which is crazy for service work.
Yep... they said that work orders will have a note..."not to exceed $xxx" Who picks that number?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

I've never made one penny on those jobs, Why, because once they start telling me what they're going to pay me, I laugh at them and block there phone number, why even listen to assholes like that..hang up the phone on them and let them go without getting their work done.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Our shop deals with a few of these national companies.
They are getting worse and worse. As far as hoops to jump through to do their work.
And the profit is minimal.
Most all of them have a set n.t.e. dollar value, which would make you laugh. And stipulations saying you must call in and get authorization if you suspect you may cross this limit...

·
Kind of a big deal here
923 Posts
Our shop deals with a few of these national companies.
They are getting worse and worse. As far as hoops to jump through to do their work.
And the profit is minimal.
Most all of them have a set n.t.e. dollar value, which would make you laugh. And stipulations saying you must call in and get authorization if you suspect you may cross this limit...
HA! They all have call in centers that log you in and out electronically to the minute. If you don't do the call the perfect, 100% correct way, they don't pay. When I worked for Sylvania, the North East lost money on work. They had to honor the national price, didn't matter that labor was twice as much in Boston as it was in Boise. I do not miss that crap one bit. Once you let someone tell you what you're charging, you might as well call it a day.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Every single time we have given one of these outfits a try we have seriously regretted it. There are a lot of them but we have always had a ridiculously difficult time getting paid for small no profit jobs.

Not worth it in our experience. I hear there are a few decent ones but we haven't found them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts