Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
I have always worked out of trucks, not gonna get me in a van. My trucks are setup for working though. They could not just be transformed to personal use in a matter of minutes.

Start looking for another job, try dropping off resume's with real contractors this time.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Roadhouse, she sure is a beauty!

Whadda ya say we talk a deal huh?

Ill trade you a broke down minivan, a washing machine, and 4 slightly used fishing poles for that truck.... :jester:
Wishful thinking at it's best! Thanks for the offer, it's a hard one to pass up, but I love that truck. You'd literally have to kill me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Supply your own work truck, your own power tools, your own gas + insurance, and thank them on your knees when your tiny paycheque arrives a week late. It's called the "Ontario handjob".

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are going to be using your truck for personal things along with work get a trailer!!! I have a F250 and an 8 ft trailer I pull behind it. I wanted that bc all I do is unhook the trailer and I have my truck back!! Use it as food for thought, get ur license, start your own business and buy whatever you want :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I drove a van for years but just switched to a F250. I bought several weatherproof tool boxes for supplies and fittings. I keep all power tools in crossover box. This works pretty good. I do not miss climbing around on my knees in the van looking for sh*t.

·
Registered
178 Posts
:laughing::laughing::whistling2:
^^^
I used to use one of these on our new construction jobs. It was painted a solid color, and got really $hitty gas mileage, but we always had everything we needed on the job site. I called it my portable garage.LOL. Quit using it and eventually sold it when gas hit $4 bucks/gal. I miss the big furniture ramp on the back. made for quick trips in and out and nver had to worry about material or tools getting wet, NOR getting soaked while looking for a fitting.

I have tried using pickup trucks, but a van or a trailer is much simpler if the weather changes a lot.

(this is an early picture before the conduit boxes and extra bins were put in.)

Attachments

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
i worked for one company that had a fleet to toyota trucks that they did minimal maintenance on, ok for bigger industrial jobs, embarrassing for resi calls imho

~CS~

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
I've worked out of open and closed pickups and there's always the problem of having enough space, or trying to get stuff out of them, or protecting things form the weather. Vans are better, but there's still the accessibility problem.

I think in the future a box truck or something with at least 6' of standing room is the way to go.

-John

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
What is the difference between driving to an office and directly to the job?
Whether you're on the clock.

Whether your tools are covered by whose insurance.

Who's liable in an accident.

Who covers maintenance & repairs on the vehicle.

Tax liabilities & deductions.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Good heavens ... judging by the posts here, I don't think I've ever been among such a bunch of princesses!

I entered the trade thought a 1-man shop; you bet I worked out of my baby (Chevy LUV) pick-up truck! Did so for many years, until I got a real work truck.

So, what do you need to make a pick-up a halfway efficient work truck?

Full length tool boxes, top access. Some way to cover the bed. Some form of ladder rack / conduit carrier.

Milk crates, or something similar, are useful for keeping the stuff in the back of the truck sorted out. You want some sort of partition to separate the rear-most part of the bed from the rest of the bed; this is your 'live' or temporary storage area.

Oh, and REAL truck tires. Try using passenger car tires, and every time you bump into a curb you'll be buying a new tire. That's because you'll have the tires overloaded.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wishful thinking at it's best! Thanks for the offer, it's a hard one to pass up, but I love that truck. You'd literally have to kill me. :thumbsup:
That could be arranged. So, we got a deal? :jester:

Reactions: socalelect

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I worked for a goof and was running out of rmc.Didn't want the other kids to lay-off so I told the boss I'd go it it. 800 feet in my 150 ford.Never again.Iknow thats' why i broke a spring.(¾ conduit).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Unless your being compensated for using your own power tools and vehicle for transportation then the company who requires their employees to do so is cheap and unprofessional .

They can't afford to buy their own , maybe lower their bids to get jobs on the backs if the employees having you work on tightly priced jobs and if a surprise comes up its the employees fault.

Worked for a company like this once, never again.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Vintage Sounds said:
Supply your own work truck, your own power tools, your own gas + insurance, and thank them on your knees when your tiny paycheque arrives a week late. It's called the "Ontario handjob".
That's why I got out of ontario. The 3 to 1 apprentice ratio really encourages people to be like the op. If you aren't willing to do it there are 10 other people who will. Here in Alberta even kaboler got a company vehicle in his first few weeks as an apprentice.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts