Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to finish up a little work in a small warehouse space I wired a couple of months ago. I warned them that I needed at least a 3 foot square in front of the panel. Well, when they erected the racking, they gave me a 4 foot square in front of the panel. I just can't get into it. This might be legal. I havn't looked into it much yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome to my world MD. In industry we fight for all the room we are required. It seems most of the production end thinks that 3 ft for the electrician is wasted. A few subtle reminders are sometimes required. Like the time I found baskets of parts sitting against a panel door,they wound up setting against the production leaders desk! I swear I don't know how they got there!!! But never had problems in that aea after that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I should get some pics of the grocery store service panel areas I encounter! sometimes it's like mountain climbing to get to them!

·
Registered
617 Posts
We do work in a place that's starved for space. Our service guy, a grumpy old man, told them they need to keep the panels clear, so these people got a painter to paint yellow caution lines on the floor no wider than the panels and no deeper than 14 inches.
Luckily the guys in this machine shop are brighter than the painters and the guys highering the painters, ha

·
Registered
Electrician
3,560 Posts
Looks like you came to my place and snapped that pic. I have signs and the floor is painted, but I have realized that people are blind, and/or can't read.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MD read the rules for egress. The pics show a violation.
Cool, thanks. I just didn't really put any effort into looking it up. Thought the picture would make for interesting discussion. You're absolutely right, though. Here we go:

110.33 Entrance and Access to Work Space.
(A) Entrance.
At least one entrance not less than 610 mm
(24 in.) wide and 2.0 m (61⁄2 ft) high shall be provided to
give access to the working space about electric equipment.

Where the entrance has a personnel door(s), the door(s)
shall open in the direction of egress and be equipped with
panic bars, pressure plates, or other devices that are normally
latched but open under simple pressure.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with a better article. My heart isn't in it at the moment either.

I made an attempt at finding the article about GFI's in place of grounds for another post, but I gave up after my first hunt. Which really bother me because I need to be at this for my test coming up.

Perhaps it's just a Sunday night issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts