Electrician Talk banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
It used to be that in my local you just received greater retirement benefits if you paid the A dues as opposed to the B dues. I opted to stay as a B and put the extra money in my 401k. It was not that much more to be an A Journeyman and most of the B's made fun of them for feeling superior. "I'm a Journeyman A so you get your scrub ass out of the shop and get to work. I got paperwork to do." lmao
that "mindset" person will use just about any thing they can fathom to act like a fool. good for u stocking it into a fund vs not gaining more.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,949 Posts
It used to be that in my local you just received greater retirement benefits if you paid the A dues as opposed to the B dues. I opted to stay as a B and put the extra money in my 401k. It was not that much more to be an A Journeyman and most of the B's made fun of them for feeling superior. "I'm a Journeyman A so you get your scrub ass out of the shop and get to work. I got paperwork to do." lmao
Your talking about “A” and “BA” membership. Our old “B” program was the residential program. I don’t remember what the official wording was on the dues receipt. Residential inside wireman? What we called a “B guy” was considered an “A” membership as far as the international pension plan. There is also no difference with the local pension. In other words, the residential guys get the same pension as the commercial/industrial guys.

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,223 Posts
I never really paid much attention to what the differences were. The local I worked out of was a maintenance local 2295 out of LA. I worked there for 32 years in the same plant. I think your right it was BA but I cant be sure. All I know is most of the A members had electronics backgrounds and only a few of them actually worked construction or held JW status. The union steward was an A and a few of his close friends were as well. Don't get me wrong we were all close as we worked together for several years and depended on each other. The A electricians ran the show so to speak because the most important part of maintenance was keeping the machine tools running, especially the NC machines. So the card carrying members mostly B's from non union backgrounds would be assigned to infrastructure and light construction and conventional machines. As for a pension from the union I have no idea what the A members received but BA members like myself got zero. Although I did get a healthy pension form Boeing so it's probably a different ball game than what you guys deal with.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Your talking about “A” and “BA” membership. Our old “B” program was the residential program. I don’t remember what the official wording was on the dues receipt. Residential inside wireman? What we called a “B guy” was considered an “A” membership as far as the international pension plan. There is also no difference with the local pension. In other words, the residential guys get the same pension as the commercial/industrial guys.

U realize there was jw A and jw B licenses right?

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,949 Posts
U realize there was jw A and jw B licenses right?
Not exactly. I don’t think they are called journeymen at all. And the B apprentice (2 year class at the time) was called a residential trainee, not apprentice. I think the distinction is made like that because they can’t be used on PW jobs. Journeymen is only after the full apprenticeship.

It‘s the same today with the CE/CW. They are not considered journeymen or apprentice until they enter third year school (change over) or complete it. All the things I’m talking about are completely separate from whatever state licensing there is.

I never saved dues receipts, so I’m not sure what the official trade classification was. I’m almost positive it was residential wireman and residential trainee. Both were member type A as far as the pension and voting.

Attachments

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Not exactly. I don’t think they are called journeymen at all. And the B apprentice (2 year class at the time) was called a residential trainee, not apprentice. I think the distinction is made like that because they can’t be used on PW jobs. Journeymen is only after the full apprenticeship.

It‘s the same today with the CE/CW. They are not considered journeymen or apprentice until they enter third year school (change over) or complete it. All the things I’m talking about are completely separate from whatever state licensing there is.

I never saved dues receipts, so I’m not sure what the official trade classification was. I’m almost positive it was residential wireman and residential trainee. Both were member type A as far as the pension and voting.
then look up different parts of the country and show me where im wrong lol

81 - 86 of 86 Posts