Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of opening a LLC Business in Florida after 30+ years of working for others. I was told, although I think incorrectly, that as a workmans comp exempt officer I am not able to work in the field. How could that be possible when I can start an LLC with only 1 member? Just looking for some clarification if someone could help. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am in the process of opening a LLC Business in Florida after 30+ years of working for others. I was told, although I think incorrectly, that as a workmans comp exempt officer I am not able to work in the field. How could that be possible when I can start an LLC with only 1 member? Just looking for some clarification if someone could help. Thanks in advance

You should not need it for yourself.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
By law,all workers need WC

But different states see the 'corporate officers' of any given company as exempt , if they choose to be

This basically means, screw up and you're 'effed......

~CS~

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well read your business and law book if you take the masters test in the last 10 years its tells you everything about who has to have it and who doesn't but I think you don't have to have workmens comp if your one .
But if you have two workers your going to have it .

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
By law,all workers need WC

But different states see the 'corporate officers' of any given company as exempt , if they choose to be

This basically means, screw up and you're 'effed......

~CS~
I assume you mean for medical bills. I just made sure my medical insurance would pay if I got hurt at work. LOL, I used to call them every renewal to make sure that didn't change.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
as others said, I believe that things vary by state.

generally the rate for office employees is lower than field employees. your underwriter may audit you at the end of the year and adjust your rate based on field hours/office hours, or by the task category. If you are only paying the rate for office work, and an accident happens, your insurer might decide not to pay the claim. you should sort this out with your insurer, though.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
They're legislating it down the everyone in the last decade or so

Back about 2000 or maybe better, they required any sm corp, even if it was a ONE man show to have WC, but allowed that one man (officer of the sm corp) to sign off on himself

The end result was literally paying for a policy that did squat...:mad:

And posters here wonder why i often comment that the legit tradesmen are penalized over the hacks and handymen .....:(

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I assume you mean for medical bills. I just made sure my medical insurance would pay if I got hurt at work. LOL, I used to call them every renewal to make sure that didn't change.
H*ll yeah Lou :)

What happened was the construction contingent was the first to forgo any real HC insurance, so anyone who fell down on the job pursued the GC

The end result ws, and is to this day, the WC audits of all the subs , etc

Big insurance didn't want to pay out, so they legislated another protective mandate for themselves

~CS~

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well florida statutes 440.055 fewer than four employees you can elect to not have WC but must post it on the job site to the lack of entitlement of benefits .

But who would work for you not me .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
In NC, if you have more than 3 employees (which includes YOU), you are required to carry WC. But lots of new construction (resi & commercial) work requires all the subs to carry it, regardless of how many employees you have.

You can buy a "ghost policy" as a one man show, to allow you to work new construction. I thinks its something like 1k for a year. If your not doing new construction though, most people wont ask you for it.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
In NC, if you have more than 3 employees (which includes YOU), you are required to carry WC. But lots of new construction (resi & commercial) work requires all the subs to carry it, regardless of how many employees you have.

You can buy a "ghost policy" as a one man show, to allow you to work new construction. I thinks its something like 1k for a year. If your not doing new construction though, most people wont ask you for it.
Where did you get this info from?

My understanding is as soon as you hire your first employee you're required workers comp

And 100% of the companies I work for require WC, regardless if its new construction, remodeling, service or repairs. The GC or business insurance will normally require it.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Where did you get this info from?

My understanding is as soon as you hire your first employee you're required workers comp

And 100% of the companies I work for require WC, regardless if its new construction, remodeling, service or repairs. The GC or business insurance will normally require it.
Pretty sure it was in that little white NC business law book that was part of the exam. Could've been my insurance agent, one of the two. Just call your agent and ask.

The only companies that have required me to carry WC other than new construction builders, was when I did work for REMAX. Those jerks wont even take a business card from you if you dont carry it. I was working for them the same time I was wiring houses, so it worked out. All the remodel contractors, sunroom builders, and PM companies I work with dont even ask about it. I even did a commercial remodel for a national chain in January, and they just wanted to make sure I had less than 3 guys when i told them I didn't carry it.

·
Premium Member
19,744 Posts
Ok, here goes.
As an owner, you can buy but will not be covered under workmans comp. therefore you do not have to pay for it and are exempt. You cannot file a claim as an owner.
You can exempt a maximum of 3 corporate officers.
PM me and we can swap numbers. I've been on my own for many years, maybe I can help you answer some questions you might have about Florida stuff.

·
Premium Member
19,744 Posts
Well florida statutes 440.055 fewer than four employees you can elect to not have WC but must post it on the job site to the lack of entitlement of benefits .

But who would work for you not me .:thumbsup:
That is for non-construction. In construction all employees must be covered. No exceptions. Only officers/ owners can be exempt.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
That is for non-construction. In construction all employees must be covered. No exceptions. Only officers/ owners can be exempt.
Well yes your correct I just looked in a old Florida 2000 contractors reference manual said employers with one or more must provide .
I guess I should have read the whole page on the WC state law and you said its only for construction so if you work for burger king they don't have WC .

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Pretty sure it was in that little white NC business law book that was part of the exam. Could've been my insurance agent, one of the two. Just call your agent and ask.

The only companies that have required me to carry WC other than new construction builders, was when I did work for REMAX. Those jerks wont even take a business card from you if you dont carry it. I was working for them the same time I was wiring houses, so it worked out. All the remodel contractors, sunroom builders, and PM companies I work with dont even ask about it. I even did a commercial remodel for a national chain in January, and they just wanted to make sure I had less than 3 guys when i told them I didn't carry it.
you are correct, 3 or more employees is the rule. I just looked it up online.

Ive been required since day one for the companies Ive worked for so Ive never even questioned it

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
you are correct, 3 or more employees is the rule. I just looked it up online.

Ive been required since day one for the companies Ive worked for so Ive never even questioned it
Even when I had just one employee, I carried it. Too much liability to not have it.

Edit: When I checked it out, it was more cost effective for me to have a separate disability policy for being hurt at work (plus I confirmed my personal health insurance covered me getting hurt at work) than it was for me to be on the WC policy. This was circa 1998.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts