Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to emerge from the shadows:eek:...I applied to the IBEW apprenticeship program last year tested/interviewed pretty well. The main reason I did it is because I have worked a fairly boring sales job the last 10 years and I am burned out with the travel, pushing papers around and answering the phone. I had a few friends that were electricians and they all seem very satisfied and happy. The concerns I have is that if I do become an apprentice am I tool old? I'm currently 40 , most of the other people applying seemed to be a good 15 years younger than me, and I know I can't compete physically with these younger guys. Mentally may be a challenge also : Old Dog, New tricks....
Do any of you guys have any tips, advice, things I should do or be aware of? I'm really not trying to make excuses for myself, but just want to make sure I'm prepared as best I can be. I know it is a CAREER I'm looking at , not just a job...but at the same time I don't want to get stuck being the "old guy" that no body wants.
Any help is greatly appreciated , especially if anyone has done as similar move as I am looking at...
Thanks!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to emerge from the shadows:eek:...I applied to the IBEW apprenticeship program last year tested/interviewed pretty well. The main reason I did it is because I have worked a fairly boring sales job the last 10 years and I am burned out with the travel, pushing papers around and answering the phone. I had a few friends that were electricians and they all seem very satisfied and happy. The concerns I have is that if I do become an apprentice am I tool old? I'm currently 40 , most of the other people applying seemed to be a good 15 years younger than me, and I know I can't compete physically with these younger guys. Mentally may be a challenge also : Old Dog, New tricks....
Do any of you guys have any tips, advice, things I should do or be aware of? I'm really not trying to make excuses for myself, but just want to make sure I'm prepared as best I can be. I know it is a CAREER I'm looking at , not just a job...but at the same time I don't want to get stuck being the "old guy" that no body wants.
Any help is greatly appreciated , especially if anyone has done as similar move as I am looking at...
Thanks!
In that case, learn the trade and study the business end of it so that when you've got enough time in you can start your own business.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks!

Dude , they have a Maximum age to get in as an apprentice , right .

You are the old guy .

Pete

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Your 'disadvantage' that you're worried about is also your advantage. At first you'll be doing grunt work like the rest of them. But being responsible and acting like a grown man will advance you faster then most young guys today.
Most new guys I've seen have a sense of entitlement and think they're so smart they can leap frog over 'working yourself up from the bottom'.

If you work hard and take your education seriously then you'll advance faster.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
So after the 5 year apprenticeship going to night school and doing grunt work, you will be 45 to start really learning for the next 5 years which you will be 50 ! Maybe take your sales skills, and try something in the industry. Just an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all good points to consider...just looking at the next potential 25 years, thanks for some perspective.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are somewhat physically fit, it won't matter much... My issue is that I keep getting apprentices in there 30's with bad knees and backs already. I started my apprenticeship when I was 18 and have 14 years in. My days of lugging heavy stuff up 3 flights of stairs or across a 500000 sq foot warehouse are over if I have 2 apprentices with me. I know everybody has their strengths and weakness's, but if halfway thru the day your body quits on you, or you have to take a handful of pain killers to get thru the second half, a job in the trades is not for you. No matter what age! Best of luck to you, brother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad I just did my math test (7 out of 9) and im 34

another fellow testing with me was 50 :)

I don't know how it will factor at interviews but your def not the oldest trying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
40 isn't too old at all. Its like you said you are looking towards the next 25 years. You already have a skill set that will help you in areas of the field you probably don't even know exist yet. As an instructor I have had a 60 year old in class, that may be too old. Just keep your nose to the grind stone and get all the extra help you can from the instructors at the JATC and put your time in now since all the homework is online. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have any mechanical aptitude? If so, go for it.
Some...besides sales I have a side gig where I do very light mechanical at a car auction...from my experience there are 3 types of mechanical people:
1. Gifted, they can see something once, take it apart, find the problem and put it back together and have it work.
2. Normal, takes 3-5 times to do a job before it is done timely and neatly, maybe breaking something the first time around if not guided.
3. Should not be doing work, regardless of experience doing something still make same mistakes and can't figure out problems.

I fall squarely into group #2, but do relapse if I have not done a specific job for a while. But that is with automotive things where things fit like a puzzle, my carpenter skills are weak where I have to create something from scratch.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
dronai said:
So after the 5 year apprenticeship going to night school and doing grunt work, you will be 45 to start really learning for the next 5 years which you will be 50 ! Maybe take your sales skills, and try something in the industry. Just an idea.
I agree, some people have the idea that electrical is not that physical of work. He's in for a big surprise. I was using a 90lb jack hammer yesterday. The pad we cut was incorporated into a duct encasement, my plan was to cut through the pad and use the forklift to pull out squares with a chain, wedge anchor and an eyebolt. Instead it at all had to come out he hard way. I wish I had an apprentice with me.

Attachments

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I agree, some people have the idea that electrical is not that physical of work. He's in for a big surprise. I was using a 90lb jack hammer yesterday. The pad we cut was incorporated into a duct encasement, my plan was to cut through the pad and use the forklift to pull out squares with a chain, wedge anchor and an eyebolt. Instead it at all had to come out he hard way. I wish I had an apprentice with me.
That's work for laborers, not electricians.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you stop at a traffic light with your new corvette convertible and the 18 yr old girl in the next car says, "Nice car pops" stick with sales but if she says, "You're hot for an older guy" go with IBEW.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad you posted this, Fishon! Just turned 30 this week, and I thought I was an anomaly! Good to know I'm not the only "worldly" and "experienced" apprentice(to be) out there! Age ain't nothing but a number, I guess. I feel 20 with 10 years experience sometimes!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts