Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer would like to add some core drill step lights around a pool, steps are about 8' ft away from edge of pool. Step lights will get drilled into a a already poured concrete wall, here lies the problem, area behind the wall has been backed filled with up to 11' of gravel. What happens if I take 1/2 or 3/4 pvc conduit, clamp it to a 10' ground rod and use by roto hammer to drive the ground rod with conduit attached along the back side of the wall.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Sorry, I found the OP vague.

So behind retaining wall is it for a hill that slopes up? No matter what you should seal you outside of PVC and inside of PVC Article 225.27 and slope down behind the lights for all you runs!
The earth behind the wall will always have water pressure on the wall and any openings in the wall!

You didn't say how high the light location is to be to the retaining wall.
If the work involved center height placement is different for a three foot wall verses a six foot wall!

Moving and replacing earth and gravel is time and can cost money in respects to 11" and in which direction and how deep? This will all be shovel and hand digging. Know any landscapers to get a price on this type work?

Does the light except two conduits? The owner probably doesn't want a bunch of handy boxes above all the lights visible from the back edge of the wall! You can place a box away from retaining wall and run all single conduit runs.

I don't know what you think you might be doing with a ground rod? You just need to run to the pool panel, or back to panel feeding other pool circuits. I didn't read pool Article. but your circuit will still be a Hot, Neutral and EGC.

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
Are you trying to make a path for the wire?

·
More than lead and elbows
579 Posts
the conduit would have to terminate into something, I think you are gonna have to remove some gravel or surface mount.

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
the conduit would have to terminate into something, I think you are gonna have to remove some gravel or surface mount.
not if it is low voltage

Reactions: JW Splicer

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope this is a better description--- 10' or 11' ft poured foundation walls for the basement of the pool house-- one foundation wall continues approx 4' then starts to curve until it is parallel to the the pool house foundation.Gravel fill between these two foundation walls. Just trying to look for a solution with out removing the gravel. What I thought about trying, 10 ft ground rod with a 3/4 pvc conduit plugged at the bottom strapped with hose clamps to the ground rod. Ground rod and conduit are driven with a roto hammer along wall. These are most likely low voltage lights, so conduit is basically a chase. Pretty Ghetto :laughing::laughing:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I have done this before, get a 12" rmc cut off, cut unthreaded end on sharp angle.couple to a full length, use a coupling on hammer end to absorb impact. Use a core bit on hammer to drive conduit. I have done this several times thru the foundation, under sidewalks and small driveways. Never tried it with PVC. You might want to drive 1" RMC and slide 1/2" pVC thru it.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
I've driven under 8' driveways and sidewalks, but it was always in soil. The widest I did was 12' and I beat the end of 1/2" rigid flat and folded it over and beat flat again. I chucked that into a1/2" hole hog. I then put a bend on the other end with a pipe wrench. Drilled hole as far as I could from one side, then drilled from other side to meet it. The owner was happy we didn't have to cut up his golf cart path. It took all friggin day though.

I'm sorry to say gravel is a totally different story. You cant just "bore" a hole. As soon add you slide you bit out, gravel falls in the hole. And driving conduit doesn't work either. I tried everything from 1/2 to 2" with 16 lb sledge and the gravel just had too much friction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts