Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial Construction
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an offer for a service position for 4.75 more per hour, no on call until I am a jman, and a technical jump ahead in school by one semester (which would allow me to test 6 months earlier because of required hours being met). I took this information to my boss, thinking I wanted to stay if they could match. Well he came back with .50 cents more in pay, and a promise to have a meeting with the service manager to see about getting an apprentice into the service department. He doesn't think there is enough service work to keep me busy full time. How heavily would you consider the counter offer? I do like the people I work with a lot. I think I know what I'm going to do, but I would like some input from you guys.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,827 Posts
best advice i have is think carefully about your future
benefits are worth more than money once you get a wife and kids
then there is job security, talk to some of the guys at both shops and see if they think they could be there till they retire
in todays job market, the management of the business will determine whether it lasts or goes broke

·
Registered
Commercial Construction
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a bunch of kids already. I tried to get more paid time off but neither company went for it until 1 year from now. The insurance at my current place sucks, but I've always been paid under the Medicaid cap and have been using that. This is the first time I'll need to get insurance. The tool allowance is the same. The 401k match is the same. Last year we all got great Christmas bonuses, but it was atypical due to excess funding from PPP loans that were forgiven. We have a new owner this year. Both companies are stable work wise. Current one has 65 people the new one has 200. What benefit would you be looking for?

My main worry is that raises will be held back in the future if I stay due to being paid more than about half the company as a 3rd year. I am already the highest paid apprentice.

·
Registered
Sub transient reactance X”d worshiper.
450 Posts
Talk to the true Boss, your wife. She see things in other ways that we do not, and will give some good in site to the decision making process, this decision affects her as well.

The new company, will your knowledge base expand greater as well, for the scope of work that they do?

·
Registered
Commercial Construction
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talk to the true Boss, your wife. She see things in other ways that we do not, and will give some good in site to the decision making process, this decision affects her as well.

The new company, will you knowledge base expand greater as well for the scope of work that they do?
I have. She wants me to move on. Yes I will be exposed to a larger scope of the trade at the new place.

What are you making now, what area of the country do you live in?
I make 20.75 in West Michigan. Offer was for 25, counter for 25.5.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,884 Posts
I have. She wants me to move on. Yes I will be exposed to a larger scope of the trade at the new place.

I make 20.75 in West Michigan. Offer was for 25, counter for 25.5.
Oh I miss understood then. I thought new company offered 4.75 more than what you make now and old company offered .50 more than what you make now. Sounds like you got what you wanted, more money out of your old company.

·
Registered
Commercial Construction
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I miss understood then. I thought new company offered 4.75 more than what you make now and old company offered .50 more than what you make now. Sounds like you got what you wanted, more money out of your old company.
Yeah I think both would be good options. I have some reservations about accepting a counter offer, but it was extremely nice of them to give me one. The last 6 guys who left in the past few months were not given a counter offer. That's partly why I think I was given one. To stop the bleeding

·
Super Moderator
Retired
18,226 Posts
Make a pro and con list. Benefits are worth money. Remember that.
I was one to move on quite easily and a couple times it was not my decision. I can truthfully say every time I moved on, I got a better job and made more money.
Look at your list and I bet that will give you the correct answer. The answer that makes the most sense.
Good luck and keep us posted as to your decision.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,116 Posts
I was working for a state agency as an electrician. Out of the blue a job offer showed up for an MFG. 1/3 more than I was making. I wrote the letter and handed it to my boss (who was my best friend) We went to the director of crafts and he read the letter gave me some BS about being a public servant and how good it made me feel. I said I would stay for 10%. He made a counter offer of 5%. I laughed my boss looked at him and said do not piss him off give him 10%.
Dropped the offer to 3%. I walked.

Take the money after you review everything in your life with your wife.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,559 Posts
The raise your company is offering is $80 a month before taxes, over the other guy.
If the new company offers good benefits that more than offsets the old company.
If the new company don't offer benefits the it is a toss up $80 can't decide

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
The insurance at my current place sucks, but I've always been paid under the Medicaid cap and have been using that. This is the first time I'll need to get insurance. The tool allowance is the same. The 401k match is the same
This is huge, any move is going to trigger you to pay for health insurance.
I hope you younger guys get this insurance problem worked out in the US. It really sucks, bad. Its unfair and completely rotten.
I don't believe you are going to be any better off unless your company pays for your H&W.
That $5 might hurt you

1 - 20 of 63 Posts