Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a issue with a small 30 KW X Ray machine that I wired, it is wired with #2 copper and 125 Amp circuit breakers. The machine trips both the circuit breaker breaker in the main electric panel and the circuit breaker in the disconnect panel at the same time when an exposure is taken. It occurs when the first exposure is taken on the day or if the unit sit for a while not used then the first exposure taken it will trip. this does not happen every day or all the time it is very random. The X ray unit has been completely changed and the power coming into the room has been tested and we only get a 1 volt drop during the exposure for a split second. the length of wire is not more then 25'. I'm at a lose and don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check voltage and amperage on all legs... does it run through a power conditioner? Check all connections... there's a laundry list to look at

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk
All testing was done at the load side of the meter, we installed a recording device for 1 week, all voltages and amps are within ranges. No there is no power conditioner at this site. All connections are tight and clean!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not all breakers are created equal,like fuses some react quicker,some slower. The event causing your breaker to trip,may be very short in duration,but enough to trip the breaker. You can get a magnetic sensing only(no peak sensing) breaker or try a size higher.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
All testing was done at the load side of the meter, we installed a recording device for 1 week, all voltages and amps are within ranges. No there is no power conditioner at this site. All connections are tight and clean!
What was the model of the recorder? What model breakers are tripping?

If you're tripping two different sets of breakers it's a good indication that you actually have a significant current draw. They're probably going out on instantaneous and your test equipment isn't capable of capturing an event that short.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Valid question... every major piece of medical equipment I've ever wired has been VERY specific from the manufacturer as to the requirements... but then again, they've always had power conditioners too

Sent from my SGH-T599 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
This sounds like the same model or just slightly different than I hooked up yesterday. GTR Labs Mine didn't have any max/min ampacity ratings, just 30KW. At 240V single phase that's 125A, but it had internal 60A fuses, an instantaneous amperage rating of 65, and spec'd #6 from the generator to the disco. None of this will help the OP, but I found it coincidental that your machine was so close to what I was reading in the specs of mine.

Below are the generic specs they gave me, but there was a more specific book I found.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I have a issue with a small 30 KW X Ray machine that I wired, it is wired with #2 copper and 125 Amp circuit breakers. The machine trips both the circuit breaker breaker in the main electric panel and the circuit breaker in the disconnect panel at the same time when an exposure is taken. It occurs when the first exposure is taken on the day or if the unit sit for a while not used then the first exposure taken it will trip. this does not happen every day or all the time it is very random. The X ray unit has been completely changed and the power coming into the room has been tested and we only get a 1 volt drop during the exposure for a split second. the length of wire is not more then 25'. I'm at a lose and don't know where to go from here.
Machine failure...happens all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.