Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of roughing in a new construction house and the owner through me a knuckleball I'm trying to figure out. 90% of the time for outside gutter lighting, I'll just run them off a timer. Odd time I'll run a photocell or photocell/timer combo. This customer though wants a photocell to turn on the lights and have them turn off at a predetermined duration like 4 hours. He basically doesn't want to have to remember to adjust the timer every time for the yearly changes in daylight. So this is a first for me so if anyone can recommend any ideas that would be great.

I was told to go with an automation option like x10 stuff but have no experience and not sure it can do what I want. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems the Aube doesn't adjust for daylight savings but intermatic does. Neither have a countdown feature but I'm sure I can convince the customer its not needed. He's pretty stubborn and eccentric so hope this calms him down!! If anyone has any other ideas, please share!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
What do you mean by countdown? I've been using that Intermatic timer to control site lighting for a long time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have used a timer set to come on in the afternoon and off at the time desired by the customer. A photocell controls the on time.

You end up with on at dusk and off at xx:xx PM

No adjustment necessary unless he wants to change the off time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I've done that many times and what I offered but instead of xx:xx, he wants x hours once the photocell turns the lights on. Personally, I think its stupid and an astro timer makes more sense so I'll find out tomorrow!

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
You have finally proven yourself knowledgeable and useful! I'll be nice to you all week. I never knew this existed.
Lol I have my moments.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Seems the Aube doesn't adjust for daylight savings but intermatic does. Neither have a countdown feature but I'm sure I can convince the customer its not needed. He's pretty stubborn and eccentric so hope this calms him down!! If anyone has any other ideas, please share!

The Aube T1072-3W is one nice timer. Of course it does daylight savings.

Has a great Table (far better then Intermatic for us folks up north) for sunset/sunrise programming. << You can even offset those times if you wish. Example: Customer wants lights on 40 minutes (70 minutes max either way) before sunset.

21 on/ 21 off events per day can be programmed into the unit.

Single pole or 3-way. Does it all. Just learn to program it.

Great device!

Requires a neutral.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts