Electrician Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hire my buddy to do fire alarm. He knows what he’s doing, I don’t. I can kink pipe and yank wire, though.
In Ontario you have to be certified to work on an existing system but there really isn’t anyone policing it so everybody does it without certification.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,816 Posts
In Ontario you have to be certified to work on an existing system but there really isn’t anyone policing it so everybody does it without certification.
To service, or to install?
Service, I understand.
Install, that's electrical jurisdiction

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To service, or to install?
Service, I understand.
Install, that's electrical jurisdiction
Service and to test, inspect and verify.

So yes it’s electrical to install a new system but someone certified must verify it as per the ULC standards.

And if the system is operational you must be certified to touch it at all. Add a device, move a device etc. The certified worker can have up to two helpers.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,816 Posts
Service and to test, inspect and verify.

So yes it’s electrical to install a new system but someone certified must verify it as per the ULC standards.

And if the system is operational you must be certified to touch it at all. Add a device, move a device etc. The certified worker can have up to two helpers.
You're saying that in a renovation situation, the electrical contractor must be certified in order to install, move, or remove devices on an existing fire alarm system?
I'm talking before the verification process.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You're saying that in a renovation situation, the electrical contractor must be certified in order to install, move, or remove devices on an existing fire alarm system?
I'm talking before the verification process.
Yes. Not the contractor, the worker doing the actual work.

For instance, if you are doing a renovation on one floor of a high rise building and making changes to the fire alarm on that floor, but the system is still in operation for other parts of the building, then the person doing the work must be certified.

But if the entire building is under construction and the fire alarm system is not providing life safety for anyone (no one other than construction workers working in the building) then no, the person working on the fire alarm system does not need to be certified.

In both cases, before you can get a pass on the occupancy permit, anything touched would have to be verified by someone certified.

Edited my post because I didn’t read your post properly

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
I realize you guys are in Canada.

In Florida anyone working on a fire alarm system has to have a state issued id clipped on their shirt. It has their photo, name, license number and thumbprint. Anyone not displaying those credentials while working on a life safety system commits a felony.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize you guys are in Canada.

In Florida anyone working on a fire alarm system has to have a state issued id clipped on their shirt. It has their photo, name, license number and thumbprint. Anyone not displaying those credentials while working on a life safety system commits a felony.
The problem here is there is no police for people working on fire alarm systems. We have a decent system for ensuring workers working on electrical are legit and a decent inspection authority for electrical, but nothing for fire alarm unless someone dies in a fire or when there are damages due to a fire.

I worked on fire alarm systems for over a decade with no certification or any real fire alarm training. Only learned how liable I was many years later when I finally took the training.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,864 Posts
I'm licensed to do them anytime I want. But that does't mean I can just work on an existing buildings system because that breaks a contract the building has with the monitoring and response existing company. I don't want to have to Call Saul.

When we renovate we contact the existing alarm company and then pay them to do the final testing and implanting to the system of our work. I like that anyway because they just took away my liability when they perform that job.

Reactions: MikeFL

·
Senior Moment
7,857 Posts
When I lived in Ohio a special license was required to work on fire alarms. You couldn't even paint conduit coupling red without it.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm licensed to do them anytime I want. But that does't mean I can just work on an existing buildings system because that breaks a contract the building has with the monitoring and response existing company. I don't want to have to Call Saul.

When we renovate we contact the existing alarm company and then pay them to do the final testing and implanting to the system of our work. I like that anyway because they just took away my liability when they perform that job.
That happens here as well but only in a new building, or a building that has a maintenance agreement with a fire alarm contractor.

Many buildings only have a company like ADT doing their monitoring and do not have maintenance agreements so anyone certified can do the work as far as the fire Marshal is concerned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts