Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
290 Posts
I would say forget you even thought of the idea.

My first year in business I got a fairly large print ad made up after they told me how rich I will be and showed me all the charts and graphs anyone could ask for. After spending over $10,000 for the year I got a return of about $350.00....pretty big loss if you ask me. The next year they told me it was because I didn't do a online and print ad campaign. They could do both for only $16,000, I laughed and told them not to contact me again.

Anytime I ask how a customer found us not once has anyone mentioned the yellowpages. Once I thought about it I realized I haven't looked up a business that way in 7 years. Not sure what they charge now but I can bet you can and will find better ways to advertise.

· Banned
12,728 Posts
Save your money. Back when I did use the yellow pages to find a business, I specifically choose the ones that do NOT have an ad, and would go with the ones with just an address and phone number that was as local as possible. But for the last decade the yellowbook and the yellow pages (2 separate entities here) are deposited into the recycle bin the moment they hit the driveway.

· Banned
12,728 Posts
YP ads died for us around 2005. The return on our website is much greater than YP ads ever were and at a fraction of the cost. I suspect many of us have paid for the overstated claims of YP salespeople.
Yep, they'll tell you your ad is out there 365 days a year in every household. Problem is, if it's even brought into the house, it's used as a booster seat, kindling, or just recycled.

· Banned
2 Posts
Think about it this way - "where do people search for an electrician when they need one?". For the most part currently, online is where someone would begin looking.

If you have a website you may want to consider various internet marketing methods. You will probably get a lot more results for a lot less money. Things like getting your website ranking for relevant keywords in the search engines would be the first thing to look at. I am not sure what part of Illinois you are in but there should be a good amount of searches for electricians in your city from people needing one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.