Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm an electrical contractor from Toronto, Ontario. I've been following this forum for a while now, then decided to register and finally got to the point of introducing myself. So here I am, any questions?

Cheers,
aes_sparky

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm an electrical contractor from Toronto, Ontario. I've been following this forum for a while now, then decided to register and finally got to the point of introducing myself. So here I am, any questions?

Cheers,
aes_sparky

ok, I'll bite,,,,why do Canadians pronounce ABOUT,,,,like it sounds like ABOOT?

·
Electrical Contractor
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I'll bite,,,,why do Canadians pronounce ABOUT,,,,like it sounds like ABOOT?
The question itself is worded improperly. It should be:
Why is when we say AboUt Americans hear AboOt?
Is there a difference in air thickness on that side of the border so the sound waves transmit differently?

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
The question itself is worded improperly. It should be:
Why is when we say AboUt Americans hear AboOt?
Is there a difference in air thickness on that side of the border so the sound waves transmit differently?

So your implying that when you say,,,,"tie a boot",,,,,and then say "fly about",,,,that you actually make a different sound? I can't hear it (from most canadians)

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
And here I figured it was from a heavy Scottish influence.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
That's about as bad as an english lady that called a while back to get on the "shed-yule". I said, "hang on, while I check my Sked-jill..."

·
Electrical Contractor
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seriously, it depends on which part of Canada a person is from and what is his/her background. I heard both aboot and about. In Toronto I hear mostly aboUt, whereas in rural areas I hear aboot more often. As for the origin of "aboot" - I don't know, but it is most likely due to the heavy Scottish influence as randomkiller mentioned.

·
Electrical Contractor
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your implying that when you say,,,,"tie a boot",,,,,and then say "fly about",,,,that you actually make a different sound? I can't hear it (from most canadians)
Hey at least we try. :)
Then again you should pay attention to the body language - if a guy running around flapping his eh... arms then it is mostly "fly aboot" sorry "about".
:laughing:

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Seriously, it depends on which part of Canada a person is from and what is his/her background. I heard both aboot and about. In Toronto I hear mostly aboUt, whereas in rural areas I hear aboot more often. As for the origin of "aboot" - I don't know, but it is most likely due to the heavy Scottish influence as randomkiller mentioned.

Thanks buddy. I've always wanted to ask that question, and you set yourself up for it nicely:laughing:

·
Registered
964 Posts
No questions, but for all San Jose Sharks fans I'd like to officially thank you for taking Ron Wilson off our hands!

How's that working out for ya, eh?

·
Electrical Contractor
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No questions, but for all San Jose Sharks fans I'd like to officially thank you for taking Ron Wilson off our hands!

How's that working out for ya, eh?
That's a question isn't it?
They took him off your hands but he seems to be broken, what did yo do to him, eh?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hmm, I don't know. Maybe the same thing Anaheim did to him, before they dumped his sarcastic mouth and went on a cup run?

I'm happy for anyone that is happy with RW as long as it is not the Sharks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts