Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once went to university one night a week for a school year and took a program in Marketing/Sales. It was good old fashioned learning. At one point, each student went in front of the class and did a sales presentation which was critiqued by the class. Good stuff.

If you listen to guys like mac on this site, he will give you good advice based on his experience. Mac was probably blessed with good business acumen to begin with but his true wisdom likely came from the School of Hard Knocks. What's interesting is that much of what mac says is pure textbook. Much of it can be learned without the bruises.

It's the same with an on-line business coach like Ellen Rohr. I don't subscribe to her but she says a lot of good things. If you take away the hype, however, she is reiterating good, solid advice that most likely came from formal education.

Amidst the pi$$ing contest and blah, blah, blah we get on this site, there are morsels of intelligence. If you want the real goods, however, you're going to have to separate yourself from this freak fest and learn it in a more orderly fashion.

·
Senile Member
30,716 Posts
I once went to university one night a week for a school year and took a program in Marketing/Sales. It was good old fashioned learning. At one point, each student went in front of the class and did a sales presentation which was critiqued by the class. Good stuff.

If you listen to guys like mac on this site, he will give you good advice based on his experience. Mac was probably blessed with good business acumen to begin with but his true wisdom likely came from the School of Hard Knocks. What's interesting is that much of what mac says is pure textbook. Much of it can be learned without the bruises.

It's the same with an on-line business coach like Ellen Rohr. I don't subscribe to her but she says a lot of good things. If you take away the hype, however, she is reiterating good, solid advice that most likely came from formal education.

Amidst the pi$$ing contest and blah, blah, blah we get on this site, there are morsels of intelligence. If you want the real goods, however, you're going to have to separate yourself from this freak fest and learn it in a more orderly fashion.

It's all in there man...... all of it :thumbsup:

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,092 Posts
There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Learning doesn't always come from the same sources but it is there all the time if you just open your ears and eyes to take advantage of all that surrounds you. This site is much like a large brain crammed full of information that you just have to ask the right question to unlock the answer.

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Senile Member
30,716 Posts
There is nothing wrong with learning from any source you can as long as it is good correct information. Now that is the crutch. How do you find out the source and know for a fact it is going to help you succeed?

Here is the answer. It is your mactip of the day!

'' Never ever under any circumstance, take business advice from chicken farmers''.

That's it. That's all there is to it, follow that advice and you will do just fine.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
I have a directory filled with business books in PDF form that I have offered out at various times. At least 8 of them are written by Ellen Rohr. While not as good as being in a classroom, self education does help. I also listen to those who can teach. When someone with a successful company posts the exact math proving something to be true, you know to listen. When other people just want to complain about what others do and say because they haven't been successful themselves, you know to ignore it.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The internet is making dumbasses out of a lot of people. I'm no exception. I'm only working part time right now and spend too much time on ET. I should follow my own advice and learn something constructive.

But I probably won't...

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,092 Posts
'' Never ever under any circumstance, take business advice from chicken farmers''.

That's it. That's all there is to it, follow that advice and you will do just fine.
Normally I agree with you but not on this one. I live in an area where there are four huge employers. All chicken farmers!

Perdue, Tyson, Mountainaire, and Allen Harim Foods

The smallest chicken farm here has 2000 employees. On the small end of things they sell off 230,000 tons of chicken poop a year.

There is money in chicken!

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Hackenschmidt
10,457 Posts
It's a shame, because classroom learning can be a great thing, but the stuff you learn in colleges is 1) not very real - world, and 2) geared toward working for a sizable company, not being an entrepreneur.

Too bad there's not formal entrepreneur education, it would be worth a lot, but entrepreneurs being what they are, it would cost a f'ing fortune.

Collaborating here with other entrepreneurs is pure gold!

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny, my kid has a business degree and specialized in entrepreneurship. He makes a living with small business start-ups.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,092 Posts
So...

You're cleaning up ?

Let Steve know.
I just drive by them and close the windows. But we have friends that are in various parts of it. A couple friends have coups and rent or lease to the big guys and do well.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,092 Posts
Funny, my kid has a business degree and specialized in entrepreneurship. He makes a living with small business start-ups.
I have more than one degree. While some of the things I learned I used while working there was little life benefit other than having them on a resume a couple times.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Right now I read and listen to audio books for various things- self help, attitude, sales, marketing etc. This fall/winter I plan on taking some classes at the local college.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,092 Posts
Right now I read and listen to audio books for various things- self help, attitude, sales, marketing etc. This fall/winter I plan on taking some classes at the local college.
Additional education never hurt anyone, it keeps the brain from growing stagnant. I took various classes at community colleges over the years.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
Proof that where you start can have a big impact as to where you end.

This signage was put up by a fellow that was very backwards in his thinking.

Indeed, the whole right-to-left bit makes one think he was Semitic.

Consider yourself lucky that any vowels are up there.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
There is nothing wrong with learning from any source you can as long as it is good correct information. Now that is the crutch. How do you find out the source and know for a fact it is going to help you succeed?

Here is the answer. It is your mactip of the day!

~C:thumbup:S~

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
Proof that where you start can have a big impact as to where you end.

This signage was put up by a fellow that was very backwards in his thinking.

Indeed, the whole right-to-left bit makes one think he was Semitic.

Consider yourself lucky that any vowels are up there.
$50 says they put the lettering on that part of the building before the brick went on the left part.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
$50 says it was an intentional joke and a very good one. If anyone thought for a second this was done by accident more fool you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts