Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on a 600a, 480v MCC. I figure I'll be ok as long as the duct tape holds. And no, I did not open "loop pump 2 door" to find out.

image-2353335791.jpg

Be careful out there fellas!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I found this on a 600a, 480v MCC. I figure I'll be ok as long as the duct tape holds. And no, I did not open "loop pump 2 door" to find out.

View attachment 31397

That's safe , it's gorilla tape.:whistling2::laughing:

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

View attachment 31397

Classic... thanks for that.

I have one somewhere of a Wye-Delta starter on a 150HP pump at a WWTP, where the control circuit failed years ago. So they had a stick with brown paint on one end, the other was blue. Then there was brown and blue tape on the contactors at the armature "buttons". Written in felt pen on the INSIDE of the door (because you had to have the door open to do it) was the instruction to "Push the brown button with the brown end of the stick first for 3-4 seconds, then let go and immediately push the blue button with the blue end of the stick. Turn off using the breaker." We guessed that the act of turning the stick over provided the necessary transition delay. It had been that way for 10 years...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I just worked a shutdown changing out an mcc today. What a headache. They Allen Bradley gear was wider than the old gear. The motor control schematics weren't jiving with what they sent pre wired in the buckets. Bolts for the main were missing and had the Belleville washers stuck in mechanism. Went to put bolt in fuses in and they were torqued but not lined up with buss to disconnect. Nice... Confusion creates cash. Thanks Mexico.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
...Bolts for the main were missing and had the Belleville washers stuck in mechanism....
:laughing: It's all uphill from there. Recently did a shutdown where they dumped the main switch for the plant, and the guy remarks "Yeah, you might wanna look at the Open/Close indicator, because it didn't change." I open the door, "Yeah, that's because the switch blades are welded together and the switch is still closed!" Took a precision calibrated hammer to get those knives separated. I think you need to do PM more often, guys....

Also, JRaef, I hope someone saved that stick. That's terrible and hilarious. Terlarious.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Classic... thanks for that.

I have one somewhere of a Wye-Delta starter on a 150HP pump at a WWTP, where the control circuit failed years ago. So they had a stick with brown paint on one end, the other was blue. Then there was brown and blue tape on the contactors at the armature "buttons". Written in felt pen on the INSIDE of the door (because you had to have the door open to do it) was the instruction to "Push the brown button with the brown end of the stick first for 3-4 seconds, then let go and immediately push the blue button with the blue end of the stick. Turn off using the breaker." We guessed that the act of turning the stick over provided the necessary transition delay. It had been that way for 10 years...
This story just gave me an aneurysm. Thank you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
:laughing: It's all uphill from there. Recently did a shutdown where they dumped the main switch for the plant, and the guy remarks "Yeah, you might wanna look at the Open/Close indicator, because it didn't change." I open the door, "Yeah, that's because the switch blades are welded together and the switch is still closed!" Took a precision calibrated hammer to get those knives separated. I think you need to do PM more often, guys....

Also, JRaef, I hope someone saved that stick. That's terrible and hilarious. Terlarious.
Ah the good ole days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts