Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this brief. I am in the midst of a series of projects at the fish plant in Newport. Today we started a new one. They want to relocate their mincing equipment to a different area, and then convert the old room into a big freezer storage. So we went out to start ripping out the old stuff, which was apparently installed by their previous electrician.

I took a bunch of pictures (I thought) but when I got home, only one of them was on my phone. I don't know where the others went. But let's start with this:

The guy ran PVC conduit (which is typical here) into PVC boxes, with PVC fittings, but put IGBs on every single one :laughing: This is just the tip of the iceberg. You might also notice (maybe) in the picture that there are approximately 1 billion wires in there. Located nearby was a panel, containing seven 3-phase breakers (mostly 20s and 30), each feeding a separate equipment drop. By my count, that is 21 current carrying conductors all stuffed into a single pipe and not derated. Realistically most of the equipment is less than 10 amps but they rearrange things often.

Next up is the EGCs. I said seven circuits in one pipe, right? Well there was seven EGCs in there too. A separate one for each circuit. Nothing illegal about that in itself but geez, what a waste of wire and conduit fill!

The final, and most major thing, was the panel supplying these circuits. It was a 3-phase Cutler Hammer CH panel (the 3R version) with the normal CH stab-on breakers. Not a huge deal, right? Well this equipment all runs at 480 volts. The panel and breakers are rated for 240 volts max.

So to recap:

• 240V rated panel running at 480
  • 21 CCCs in a single conduit, not derated
  • Separate EGCs for each circuit all in the same conduit
  • Ground bushings on PVC pipe with PVC fittings in a PVC box
  • I didn't crunch the numbers but I bet conduit fill was getting close to a violation
  • Now that I think about it, even though there were seven EGCs, they were all #12 and not compliant with 250.122 for the 30 amp circuits

I brought my apprentice over and showed it all to him and basically said, "This is how you don't do it."

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well they fired the guy apparently, or he quit and stormed out or something, I'm not sure.

He probably didn't like me going in and fixing their sh*t after he couldn't figure it out. This thing is just icing on the cake.

We removed every trace of that installation. Yanked out the feeder, demoed the panel, pulled all of the circuits. All we left was the empty feeder conduit from the MDP because it can supply a proper panelboard in the future if necessary. We can use the other stuff in the new mincing room.

·
Registered
Industrial Construction and a fringe of residential and commercial service
529 Posts
I can almost see putting a ground bushing on if you didn't happen to have a plastic bushing. But then proceeding to run a wire to the bushing is looney.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,516 Posts
I can almost see putting a ground bushing on if you didn't happen to have a plastic bushing. But then proceeding to run a wire to the bushing is looney.
I will stir the pot.... Lets say that pic of the christy box and ground bushings with bond wire was used because the electrician needed to use bushings, but only had ground bushings, and once you put them on PVC, they are isolated - and could be energized, so he bonded them.

:brows:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.