Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's going on guys. My names peter, I would really like some info from guys on here from Canada. I'm from Ontario,22 working in Alberta driving truck in the oil field. I was oil rigging for a year then got my az and have been doing this for almost a year. Since high school I have wanted into this trade more then any others but have had no help or luck. I worked worked with a few guys for 3 months each but when there work ran out or they didn't want to sign me up they just got rid of me. I am now looking to get the hell out of this oil field and go home and start my life cause this money isn't worth being away and it's not doing anything for me. I have my high school done, I need to upgrade a few courses if I want to go the union route but thats were I need some advice. What is going to be the faster way to get a job. I am hard working, I'm used to 12-16 hour days of work, I have my CPR, confined space and rescue, h2s training, wmis, az license, transportation of dangers goods, fall arrest training. I could care less the starting wage as long as it's a real "your signed on" job. It's so hard to catch a break into this with out having family in it. Any help would be great guys id appreciate it. Thanks and i look forward to spending hours going through this forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hello peter, welcome to the forum. Try giving local 353 a call at 416 510 3530 and see when the next intake is. Also, many utilities are hiring since you have your AZ license that would be an asset if you want to go that route. Check out Hydro one. Good luck!

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
You could get hired tomorrow by a non union contractor if you were in the right place at the right time. Apply to the union, sure, but don't stop there. Apply to all the non union shops in your area as well. You probably won't get registered right away, you'll start off as a labour and work your way up. That's the way it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could get hired tomorrow by a non union contractor if you were in the right place at the right time. Apply to the union, sure, but don't stop there. Apply to all the non union shops in your area as well. You probably won't get registered right away, you'll start off as a labour and work your way up. That's the way it goes.
Would those hours count towards the 9000? I have no problem starting from the bottom sweeping floors and being the tool monkey. I just don't want it to be in a small company where it would be nothing more then that.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Would those hours count towards the 9000? I have no problem starting from the bottom sweeping floors and being the tool monkey. I just don't want it to be in a small company where it would be nothing more then that.
If you're working for a decent company they'll likely be able to count towards your 9000. A good company will try and have you registered within 6 months to a year if they feel you're worth it. It took 4 companies for me to find my place and complete my apprenticeship in Ontario. If you want to be an apprentice here you need to be prepared for a layoff or two. This isn't a province where you call the shots and finding an apprenticeship will not be easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does any one have info on hydro one? It's been a thought of mine but I don't know much about it. What is the work like ( weather won't bother me I'm used to worse) what's the pay like in the long run? Are they union?

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Does any one have info on hydro one? It's been a thought of mine but I don't know much about it. What is the work like ( weather won't bother me I'm used to worse) what's the pay like in the long run? Are they union?
They're union, but not IBEW, Power Workers Union.

Work is great from what I hear, but the jobs are hard to get.

·
Registered
313 Posts
hey peter, deffinatly give the 353 a call. A friend of mine say guild his hiring like crazy. I am a 3rd term just going back to school on monday. I am working for a non union contractor. my advice is just to get that resume out there! keep calling and keep on it !

·
Registered
287 Posts
They are part of power workers union. Apprentices for construction and maintenance electrician start at $25.56/hr and the average construction maintenance journeyman wage package is $54.89/hr which includes vacation, pension, and benefits. I go to one of the 5 colleges Hydro One likes to hire from , they post co-op opportunities with our school every semester. I can tell you from experience they are one of the most internally messed up companies out there. It's 110% true, they hire brothers, cousins, uncles etc. If you are not family or good friends with a high up, good luck :whistling2: It's one of those places where who you know outweighs all of what you know to get in the door. It's not just a job you waltz into with no experience in the field. By all means apply it can't hurt, you never know. And my buddy is doing a co-op at toronto hydro, I can tell you yes they are on a hiring push, but again they have channels they hire from they don't just take anyone off the street. Best of luck, I'd compare the odds of landing a job with the big utilities with no electrical experience or formal education similar to winning the jackpot on the first lottery ticket you ever played :thumbup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey what's going on guys. My names peter, I would really like some info from guys on here from Canada. I'm from Ontario,22 working in Alberta driving truck in the oil field. I was oil rigging for a year then got my az and have been doing this for almost a year. Since high school I have wanted into this trade more then any others but have had no help or luck. I worked worked with a few guys for 3 months each but when there work ran out or they didn't want to sign me up they just got rid of me. I am now looking to get the hell out of this oil field and go home and start my life cause this money isn't worth being away and it's not doing anything for me. I have my high school done, I need to upgrade a few courses if I want to go the union route but thats were I need some advice. What is going to be the faster way to get a job. I am hard working, I'm used to 12-16 hour days of work, I have my CPR, confined space and rescue, h2s training, wmis, az license, transportation of dangers goods, fall arrest training. I could care less the starting wage as long as it's a real "your signed on" job. It's so hard to catch a break into this with out having family in it. Any help would be great guys id appreciate it. Thanks and i look forward to spending hours going through this forum
Hello Peter,Welcome to ET:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.