Electrician Talk banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts
"Two Types Of Apprentices"

OK here's one of my apprentice "motivational speeches":

"There's two types of apprentices: Type 1 is too smart / too good for this sh**, always bored / does the bare minimum / stands in place until he's specifically asked to do something, restless until break / lunch / clockout, never does anything extra, races out the gate at 1530. He usually lasts about two months, until he quits / is let go.

Type 2 maybe doesn't know everything -- but always shows a positive attitude, often asks "can I help with this?" & "can I get that?", pays attention & makes sure the tools are always there & plugged in & ready to go, takes a few seconds to keep the work area clear for traffic & safety, sometimes asks the lead guy valid questions - "can you tell me what eqpt is this cable tray going to power up?", takes a few minutes to sweep up & carry trash with him at end of shift, sticks around a few minutes after 1530 until all tools & materials are properly stored, etc. He usually gets more & more responsibility, and eventually becomes an important person in the company (i.e. $$$ cash benefits foreman etc.).

That's how it is today son, like it or not.

So, which one are you -- who (the f*) do you want to be?"

Once an apprentice has heard this, there is no going back...

OK here's one of my electrician "motivational speeches":

"There's two types of electricians: Type 1 is too smart / too good for this sh**, always bored / does the bare minimum / stands in place until he's specifically asked to do something, restless until break / lunch / clockout, never does anything extra, races out the gate at 1530. He usually lasts about two months, until he quits / is let go.

Type 2 maybe doesn't know everything -- but always shows a positive attitude, often asks "can I help with this?" & "can I get that?", pays attention & makes sure the tools are always there & plugged in & ready to go, takes a few seconds to keep the work area clear for traffic & safety, sometimes asks the lead guy valid questions - "can you tell me what eqpt is this cable tray going to power up?", takes a few minutes to sweep up & carry trash with him at end of shift, sticks around a few minutes after 1530 until all tools & materials are properly stored, etc. He usually gets more & more responsibility, and eventually becomes an important person in the company (i.e. $$$ cash benefits foreman etc.).

That's how it is today Mr electrician, like it or not.

Once an electrician has heard this, they realize they are working for a motivational speaker and do not take it seriously....
Mind if I use this? I know a couple guys I would like to motivate! :laughing:

If electrical work isn't their thing they can always go look for one of those $15 hr fast food jobs and see how well that works out for a career. There is always that possibility of becoming an assistant manager in a few years....... I have seen more than one senior citizen working at Mickey Dee's that isn't there to supplement their retirement.

OK here's one of my apprentice "motivational speeches":

"There's two types of apprentices: Type 1 is too smart / too good for this sh**, always bored / does the bare minimum / stands in place until he's specifically asked to do something, restless until break / lunch / clockout, never does anything extra, races out the gate at 1530. He usually lasts about two months, until he quits / is let go.

That's how it is today son, like it or not.

Once an apprentice has heard this, there is no going back...
I've never met a single fella that met even a fraction of the traits you've laid out for Mr. #2.

Mr. #1 -- they are in series production. :(

I'm an older guy (55) and I deal with this all the time. My solution to the constant whining is easy. Ignore them! Workers like to screw with the boss, it's their way of blowing off steam.
Either they come to work or they don't. If they don't you get someone else.

Now, I would have a formal talk at some point and acknowledge that the work is boring, and remind them at times it will be exciting - team building stuff. I'd also remind them that sitting at home watching daytime TV is also bring, and much less lucrative.
If you can find the odd piece of work to give them a break, I would try to rotate them.

If I had to bend pipe all day for an entire month or do something repetitive like that for a long period of time, I am not working for the right company. Sorry not to offend anyone, but we all need to strive for something harder than just doing something repetitive, its just too easy... Yes it might pay the bills but you will not learn anything from it,a and especially you will not grow as a person and move up in life. If I were you, I'd tell them all to quit if they don't like it. If they are just dickheads and bad people then I'd tell them not to quit and I yourself would quit and look for something better. There's no need in complaining about something they put themselves in in the first place, so I feel for you on that note. They got themselves in it, now its up to them whether that is what they want or don't want. There is a huge need for electricians and apprentices where I live, they can work anywhere if your area is anything like mine.

But at least they are complaining about something repetitive, which is a positive thing I guess. Means they want to do more and learn more. It just sucks that they don't see it as being annoying when they complain over and over again... Hmm yeah if I were you I'd tell them all to quit. A lot of big jobs require groups of apprentices just doing the same thing over and over again. If they don't want that, join a servicing company or confront the boss about it and try to get a change because they got nothing to lose by doing that. Doing one of these will eventually put them where they want to be at. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I guess personally I wouldn't stick around and wait for something to change. They need to take it into their own hands, complaining won't get them anywhere in life
When you grow up and have people to care for, a house to pay off, bills and real responsibility you wont give a **** what you are doing. Its all about MAKING MONEY so you can provide for you and your family

When you grow up and have people to care for, a house to pay off, bills and real responsibility you wont give a **** what you are doing. Its all about MAKING MONEY so you can provide for you and your family
I have never had more pride than money. Bills and responsibilities come first, always. Kids and adults alike sometimes fail at grasping this.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.