Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Well a blast to a nest will drop them off right now, straight dead, or weakly kicking but no fight. As far as the anti-aircraft style hit whilst they're flying, I don't have a definative answer, as it's so hard to hit them.
If you can talk to a propane delivery driver, ask them as the dome cover on a tank is a favorite place for wasps to build nests.
The Amazon link was just a quick reference as I get it from a local supplier.
the raid defender will drop them off the nest, kicking for several mins, but not out of the air
i have used 3/4 of a can shooting at one that kept coming back, finally hit him dead on but he didnt drop,
he didnt come back either, at least i think not

the old CRC would take them out of the air with a bare minimum hit

propane guys just open the LP nozzle on them
mean dogs too (at least some of the guys)
they dont need spray

i have an LP tank but i always fill it in the winter so he doesnt have to worry

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,559 Posts
Buddy bought an old house. I gave him a hand cleaning it out so he could start reno's. I found a half can of Raid from back in the day when the cans were orange and black. After side by side testing on wasps I can tell you they are not the same formula. The old stuff DOES literally knock them out of the air.

·
Registered
Retired IBEW inside wireman
544 Posts
Or like what I used to do as a kid. Sneak into the bathroom a take my mom's Beautiful-Hair-Breck hair spray...find that nest outside-light a candle -holding the spray can back about a foot from the flame and hit the spray button..(looked like a cutting torch before the oxy is adjusted)...'course I also sat on the side bed-wall of a pick-up going down the road too...

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,193 Posts

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
8,822 Posts
Windex kills them too. During some renos, I had quite a few coming in the kitchen. There was a spray bottle of windex so I sprayed it on one of them ... worked as fast as Raid, and I didn't have to worry about chemicals on the windows and counters.
Sorry, doesn't help the OP much.

One thing to keep in mind, even if you had something that killed them all instantly, it's the workers coming back all day that get pissed at you !

·
Hackenschmidt
13,469 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
As a side note.. I went to open an insulated box outside this morning, and some mice had a condo development well under way. Grabbed a can of brake kleen and a short piece of tubing and it was eviction day. I think I got 7 if 'em this morning with half a can.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
As a side note.. I went to open an insulated box outside this morning, and some mice had a condo development well under way. Grabbed a can of brake kleen and a short piece of tubing and it was eviction day. I think I got 7 if 'em this morning with half a can.
mice, lizards, and snakes usually kill themselves in breaker panels
i have seen many skeletons of lizards in particular
but i wish they would stay out of the busbars and eat the wasps lol

21 - 40 of 72 Posts