Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,430 Posts
Axe Body spray is good to make a WASP... At least that is what the commercials told me years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
from time to time i have to work on outdoor panels with abandoned KO's in the bottom the only way to know whether wasps are in there is to open it and look CRC made some years ago that was awsome, it would drop them dead in the air but then they changed the recipe, and now mediocre at best the best i have found recently is Raid Defender for wasps and hornets they only hit the ground and die if they are truly soaked, even then it takes a min most of them fly off, some come back PO'd, some dont come back I need a better spray !!
If you are friendly with any of the line crews in your area ask them for a can of the company provided wasp spray. It is extremely effective, non-conducive and can shoot at a great distance. Be wary of killer bees as these have killed many linemen and it looks like a horrible way to die.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
If you are friendly with any of the line crews in your area ask them for a can of the company provided wasp spray. It is extremely effective, non-conducive and can shoot at a great distance. Be wary of killer bees as these have killed many linemen and it looks like a horrible way to die.
it generally takes 3/4 of a can, even the good stuff, to get enough of them that i feel comfortable going back to work
i keep at least 2 cans on the truck every day
i dont think the linemen can supply that much

i already ordered the rainbow stuff and its on the way. 0.1% tetramethrin : which is the good stuff
at 10 bucks a can with shipping i will be happy with it

·
Registered
Wireless Telecom.
36 Posts
from time to time i have to work on outdoor panels with abandoned KO's in the bottom
the only way to know whether wasps are in there is to open it and look
CRC made some years ago that was awsome, it would drop them dead in the air
but then they changed the recipe, and now mediocre at best

the best i have found recently is Raid Defender for wasps and hornets
they only hit the ground and die if they are truly soaked, even then it takes a min
most of them fly off, some come back PO'd, some dont come back

I need a better spray !!
Liquid Product Cosmetics Fluid Font

This one has worked great for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my two cents, I retired from AT&T, and our equipment was always full of the little b&stards.
We ALWAYS knocked on the equipment first with a tool, and stood back to watch for anyone leaving.
The phone company had some of the best stuff that would spray 10 feet. I don't have access to it any longer, but if you search for a long reach spray, you should be good. I would get stung at least 4 or 5 times a year, regardless how careful I was.

·
Registered
262 Posts
from time to time i have to work on outdoor panels with abandoned KO's in the bottom

they only hit the ground and die if they are truly soaked, even then it takes a min

I need a better spray !!
My boss learned the hard way that the fine for killing honey bees is really steep. On a later job we were disconnecting the service drop from a derelict farm house preparatory to a complete rehabilitation. I heard a buzzing noise right near the point of attachment and executed a firefighters escape ladder slide perfectly. I ran for the irrigation pond yelling a warning. We all made the pond but I had never even seen a video of so many bees. I wouldn't have thought I could hold my breath that long. When the foreman came back with a case of wasp and hornet spray I warned him about the company's previous fine and opined that the owner would be very unhappy if it were to occur again. He got really pissed and said "Well what would you suggest." I said "I will call the university and see if they want the bees." No cell phones back them so I climbed a pole, borrowed someones phone line using my lineman's telephone, and talked to a professor of apiology. He came out with the most enthusiastic gang of college students I can imagine seeing. About half of them were smoking pipes and quite a few had bee smokers filled with tobacco. That calmed the bees right down. The university paid our wages while we helped them open up the balloon frame stud bays were the hive was located. Balloon frame is where the studs are continuous from the sill plate to the attic rafters. The hive took up 2 full bays and part of 2 more. The professor said that he hadn't seen a hive that large in 30 years of handling bees. I do not remember how many pounds of honey and wax combs they got out of it but it was impressive. We got 3 hours of overtime out of the deal. The university's finance staff tried to pay us as laborers but we were all too stubborn to except that. We got paid scale for the whole day, with hazard pay, and overtime for the extra hours. They were really sore about the hazard pay but it's right there in the federal wage schedule for dealing with dangerous fauna; that's critters to us.

So remember that if you encounter a hive or swarm of honey bees there may be money in not killing them and the fine for doing so is really stiff. It was $500 for the first offense 3 decades ago. I don't want to guess what it might be now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah I know that. Btw, I am a baptized Catholic.....lol
So am I. I'm old enough to have experienced some direct prejudice against Catholics by local police on cape cod. The only catholic church was a small chapel. When the congregation spilled out onto the sidewalk that saltwater Yankee policeman told them they had to clear the sidewalk. Being only 12 I was sent inside the chapel with the woman and children but I escaped from my sister and got up into the choir loft to watch out an open window. That cop started shoving people and my father and uncles disarmed him and threw him over the stone wall into the cemetery. They had all fought in world war 2 and lost a brother their who flew his P51 head on into a buzz bomb after using up all his ammunition downing 2 over the English channel. They were simply not willing to be treated like that and since we are white they could not just shoot us. This was 1963 so they would have if they could have gotten away with it. The whole local force was called out but the state police responded as well. My grandfather walked up to the State Police Officer in Charge and showed him his State legislative ID. At that time he was the speaker of the house of delegates. The State Police Captain told the local chief to stand down or he'd find his entire force under charges for crime under color of authority.

That wasn't the end of it though. My mother organized a purchasing group amongst the Catholic families and they bought all their groceries back on the mainland. The chamber of commerce quickly realized that Catholics were not as small a minority as had been thought. They went to the Board of Selectmen and the board made it very clear to the police chief that there would be no more interference with Catholic religious activity. I was very glad that they worked it out so that I could go back to swimming and sailing instead of delivering groceries all around the community with my wagon.

--
Tom Horne

·
Registered
150 Posts

I need a better spray !!
My hat if they are flying.
A case of whatever (yeah, Raid is best) until nothing can move.
C-4 if I can get away quick enough and just start over.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
3,458 Posts
Wasp spray is mostly just oil. The fumes and coating them is what kills. Actual poisons take time: a can of hair spray or WD-40 is just as effective especially if you light I!! But so is lighter fluid; a shop vac, and pressure washers. Most of these are vastly cheaper:

If you can stand to wait they are blind at night and you can easily wipe out the whole nest. That’s how I kill yellow jackets: in the South a yellow jacket nest can be fatal. Some get 4 feet deep and wide.

Also those stupid electric tennis racket things at HF really do work. Smack a wasp or hole it next to the nest and let them attack it. All the childhood joys of catching bugs and throwing them at a bug zapper:

If you want real killing power pretty much and permethrin will work. I like bifen. It’s long lasting and kills in about 15 minutes. Good for ambush hunters like mosquitoes and wasps. Same stuff the professional bug companies use. It’s a synthetic version of a natural chemical produces by a flower. Around me you can buy it at any farm store. Be careful not to spray flowers or water. That’s not the only one. They all work pretty similar.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
My hat if they are flying.
A case of whatever (yeah, Raid is best) until nothing can move.
C-4 if I can get away quick enough and just start over.
raid may be the best you have ever used but it is not nearly as effective as what i got used to
and what i want again
0.1% tetramethrin minimum,, preferably 0.2
nothing else takes em out of the air to hit the ground dead

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Wasp spray is mostly just oil. The fumes and coating them is what kills. Actual poisons take time: a can of hair spray or WD-40 is just as effective especially if you light I!! But so is lighter fluid; a shop vac, and pressure washers. Most of these are vastly cheaper:

If you can stand to wait they are blind at night and you can easily wipe out the whole nest. That’s how I kill yellow jackets: in the South a yellow jacket nest can be fatal. Some get 4 feet deep and wide.

Also those stupid electric tennis racket things at HF really do work. Smack a wasp or hole it next to the nest and let them attack it. All the childhood joys of catching bugs and throwing them at a bug zapper:

If you want real killing power pretty much and permethrin will work. I like bifen. It’s long lasting and kills in about 15 minutes. Good for ambush hunters like mosquitoes and wasps. Same stuff the professional bug companies use. It’s a synthetic version of a natural chemical produces by a flower. Around me you can buy it at any farm store. Be careful not to spray flowers or water. That’s not the only one. They all work pretty similar.
none of that will work for me, i am opening the panel because i need to work in it right then
isnt tetramethrin better than permethrin ?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts